Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking over the bargain corner, for sale section in the Grand Rapids Press in Michigan. For sale Marlin Centennial 30-30 for sale $350 okay I called. "Is it a straight stock and lever?" "Yes" I'm interested. "Will you take $300 and meet me halfway?" "Yes" So today I met him. Centennial? Yes. Straight? No.

So the above is good.

The bad, and Ugly, it has a hairline crack on the right side of the pistol grip and a chunk missing on the left. "Take $250?" "Yes"

The rest of the gun appears to have been torn down and a few screws are boogered up no biggie, the rest of the gun is in good shape, appears to never had a scope on it, but has a JM stamped hammer spur. The medallion in the stock appears good. The rest of the gun is in excellent shape fit and finish.

Now the really ugly part, Marlinitus kicked in. Yep it's found a new home face to face no paperwork.

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
Looks very nice Swany and I think you got a great buy!That piece of wood missing is nothing but a battle scar that shows it was not just sitting and collecting dust.I bought one two years ago exactly like it in the Centennial in 30-30 from my best friend for 300.00.The one I bought was for my son and was only hunted with a little bit.What I noticed about it right away is the lever worked extremely slick and the trigger had one of the cleanest and lightest trigger pulls I have had on a lever gun.I believe they gave more attention to this Centennial model for it to work so flawlessly but that is just my thoughts.I think you got a great deal. Mike

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I leaned it out the back door and it seems to put my handloads where the iron sights are set. Just love the sound of the shot on a new to me Marlin. I'll address the stock issues and see if I can repair it to my satifaction, if not a new piece of lumber will come my way somehow just too bad that coin in the stock will be a pain to move.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Very nice rifle!! It's hard to get hurt at $250 and you have a cool old rifle to play with. I called on a 16 gauge listed in the local classifieds here and the owner mentioned that he had a Marlin .30-30 with a camo stock for $250. I had never heard of such a thing but a quick online search revealed that Marlin made the 336 CC? Kind of interesting but I'm not very enthusiastic about camo/synthetic. :D

Anyway, I really like your Centennial edition and think you did well at $250.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Littlemarlin said:
Very nice rifle!! It's hard to get hurt at $250 and you have a cool old rifle to play with. I called on a 16 gauge listed in the local classifieds here and the owner mentioned that he had a Marlin .30-30 with a camo stock for $250. I had never heard of such a thing but a quick online search revealed that Marlin made the 336 CC? Kind of interesting but I'm not very enthusiastic about camo/synthetic. :D

Anyway, I really like your Centennial edition and think you did well at $250.

I have one of those and really like it. I get comments on it everytime I go to the range.

Swany: excellent find. It is hard to beat a price like that even with blimeshed wood.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
DANG.......(longing eyes and quivering lip) nice find. :)

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It goes bang every time I drop the hammer so that's a good thing. Now I have to do a complete tear down and look see, and do an assessment on the buttstock. I have a similar chunk taken from my old 12 ga double that some acraglas bedding took care of. But then I can afford a new piece of wood if need be. Might try my hand at staining it to match an economy birch stock from Numrich, that's only $27.

But then that coin might look slick in a crescent buttplate from precision.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Or in your WWF buckle !!! ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Really good price on that gun. Too bad it's not a straight stock.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hal, I've already thought about doing that to it. It would give me some donor wood to fix that chunk that's missing.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got a care package today and the wood problems seem to past. I ordered a 39A semi crescent deluxe stock and a 336 deluxe fore end both checkered with the diamond pattern, not the best match in wood but it looks a tad nicer without the cracks and chunks missing.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I didn't know a 39A stock would fit a 336?? Anyway I guess I learned something. It looks very nice with the new wood though. I like it a lot.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
39a, 39as, 36 least my 1947 is the same, 336, 336a, 444, 1895 buttstocks are pretty much the same. It don't fit perfect but then I'm not done with it, the fore end near the bbl band sticks out 3/16ths beyond the band. In all for $110 for the pair delivered I guess I've got the original price the guy wanted for it. $350

Now if I can sell the old set I've got up in the for sale section I might still make out.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Great looking wood and great looking anniversary gun Swany!If you dont sell your stock I would remove the medallion in the stock and figure something neat to do with it.Your gun and new wood is better than any new one you can buy. Mike

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Swany, looks to me as if you got a Marlinitis Fix!! Good for you, enjoy and keep the pictures coming, Take care, John.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Swany- just wondering where you bought your replacement stocks from as they look nice.Also is it very much trouble installing new stocks on the gun.Also did your wood already come prefinished.Thanks Alot. Mike

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Swany congrats on your new purchase and at 250.00 ;) I was going to say time to roll up the sleeves and make er rite again but you all ready got it done,and it looks great!!. :)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Personally I would inlet the stock and put the coin back in its home. I have a centennial .30-30 and a centennial .35 rem. I had lined up a centennial 444 but didn't have the cash at the time. It's something about that coin that just calls to me. I hope I can find another centennial 444.

Nice find though swany

1 - 19 of 19 Posts