Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, what better way to celebrate the freedoms so many have fought and died for than by going out and exercising them?

I went back to the pawn shop I'd been to a few weeks ago and bought the 1971 vintage 336 I'd seen there. I could only get them down $225 but I am happy :). I took it home and cleaned it, then headed up to Ben Avery to try it out. I bought 3 boxes of ammo to try (no .30-30 dies yet), 150 gr Remington Core-lokt, 150 gr Winchester PP, and 170 gr Winchester PP. It seems to liek the Winchesters better. Not that I could get any really good groups with the poor sights :). I'll be interested to see what a Williams Foolprof and some practice can do. I shot at 50 yards from a rest.

Left to right, Rem 150, Win 150, and Win 170.

I did not get drawn for Javelina :(, but I am going to get a lion tag so I have a good excuse for taking my new baby into the field :).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Good Man , I went shooting myself today. Nice rifle.
We are lucky to be so Free.
Thanks to all the VETERANS that made it so..
>>Tombstone

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I took some pistolas to the range yesterday, the results wer miserable in my estimation. I'm out of practice and the S&W 19 that just got back from the factory is STILL ***** up. :( I have to call today to see if they'll work on it again.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Heck of a nice rifle JayinAz. You did great at $225. You mentioned that you want to Williams Fool Proof on it, have you thougth about a scope?

SquirrelSniper, what's wrong with the mod 19?

SS

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The cylinder is binding up. Before it was so bad you had to beat it open. I spent $125 for the S&W factory to "fix" it. I got it back and the cylinder is binding again. Definately not cool. Unfortunately I've sunk enough into this one to buy a new no frills .45, if not dang close to it. :(

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sidespin said:
Heck of a nice rifle JayinAz. You did great at $225. You mentioned that you want to Williams Fool Proof on it, have you thougth about a scope?
Yes, I've thought about a scope, but I am not ready to give up on my eyes yet :). I think the FP with a firesight front, with enough practice, should get me down to decent groups at 100 yards, maybe even to 150, which is as far as I want to shoot :). The center target above is encouraging to me, if you assume the 2 shots outside of the 4 squares the other 8 are in were my fault this rifle shows some good potential, IMHO. Since it's been a few years since I've done any rifle shooting (been concetrating on handguns) I think assuming the flyers are my fault is reasonable :).

Unless my luck gets better on these AZ big game draws this will be a coyote/cougar/bear/maybe even squirrel rifle :). I'll have to work up some slow cast bullet loads for that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I guess I will be the one to stir the pointed bullet pot on this one. It has been argued back and forth, front and back that you should not use pointed bullets in a tubular magazine. I personally dont care what others elect to do but I would not take the chance of someone being wrong or the strange accident occurance. I look at it common sense wise, a point has the potential of resting on the primer and the recoil MAY set it off. Round and flat nose work well also and it gives me piece of mind. As always this is just anothers opioion and you all know the rest of that saying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts