Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use CCI primers because that is what is readily available here. I've heard that CCI Benchrest primers are slightly hotter than the standard CCI large rifle primers. Is there any truth to this? I know they are more consistent from shot to shot but I'm wondering if there is any difference between the two in velocity or pressure. Has anyone compared them over a chronograph?

·
Registered
882 Posts
At a benchrest match, soon after the CCI Benchrest Primers were introduced a CCI factory representative gave me some to try. He said that the priming mixture and the cups were the same as the standard primers.
The only difference was that CCI selected employees who made the most consistent standard primers and paid them overtime to come in and produce the benchrest primers.
I used them in place of standard CCI primers, but was not able to tell the difference.
M.

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
I only use CCI's...tryed some BR's, never noticed any differance between them and 200 LRP (my usual primers). Accuracy remained consistant, not sure about velocity since I do not have a chrony. Only differance I could see was the primer cup seemed to be a-bit softer, (but I'm not even sure about that)

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I always used Remington 9 1/2's and the CCI 250 mag primers until 1988. I was in Bible School, Oklahoma. I had not shot my old ( and at the time only rifle) 1917 Enfield sporter all year. This was the summer after my first year. I was trying out Sierra 180 Pro Hunters and IMR 4350. That old rifle shot like a house afire, and I was previously happy with 1 to 1.5" groups. Then I learned about prepping my brass, etc. I cut the primer pockets/deburred the flasholes, segregated my brass by make/weight. I then shrank my groups to .75 to 1" groups, but noticed some slight vertical stringing. I read up on it, and decided it was an ignition problem. So I bought my first CCI BR2 primers. Voila! My groups shrank to a consistent .5 to .75", nice cloverleafs. It made a believer out of me. Later in life, when a chronograph came along, I never saw any major increases in velocity, etc between them and the CCI 200. I like the Federal Gold Medal 210M alot also. I seldom buy anything but Match primers anymore, they are worth it to me. If a hotter burn is need, I just go to a Mag primer.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Preacher. I kind of suspected there wouldn't be much difference. I like the BR2 primers for their consistency. I don't think I would get away with a mag primer in the Ackley or would even want to try it. I'm already getting 2450fps out of it with the FTX bullets and the groups really tightened up after a good cleaning.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
I use CCI and while shooting benchrest for 13.5 years I tried the BRs from CCI and did find a slight difference in groups at extended competition ranges. Those with chronys noticed a smaller spread. That being said, I tried Fed Bench rest and liked them also.

In all, the standard CCI and most all of the major brands, Fed, Rem, Win are made with very good quality control.

I would not recommend the BRs unless that is all you can find, make a really good deal on a large batch.

The extra cost unless you are shooting competition, or working a load for a ultimate long range hunting rifle is not worth it for game hunters shooting inside 300 yds.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
80hp said:
At a benchrest match, soon after the CCI Benchrest Primers were introduced a CCI factory representative gave me some to try. He said that the priming mixture and the cups were the same as the standard primers.
The only difference was that CCI selected employees who made the most consistent standard primers and paid them overtime to come in and produce the benchrest primers.
I used them in place of standard CCI primers, but was not able to tell the difference.
M.
As an OT side note to this, CCI Match .22 LR is Stadard .22 LR that when tested gave extremely good groups and consistant velocities. It then gets the Green Tag label.

·
Registered
652 Posts
swany said:
The extra cost unless you are shooting competition, or working a load for a ultimate long range hunting rifle is not worth it for game hunters shooting inside 300 yds.
+1

These days the price differential between regular and BR is substantial

Check out Powder Valley for Wolf LR primers. $16.00 per thousand. Even with hazmat and shipping buying 5000+ at this rate is lots cheaper than buying locally. Think Cabela's was getting $35.00/1000 for CCI LR200 in Richfield, WI a few weeks ago

1 - 8 of 8 Posts