Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some where along the line, I picked up a 100 round box of these. Out of a scoped single shot sighted in for the lr Dynapoint, these hit about 1/4" high at 25 yds. Fairly accurate too- most groups are 3/4" or less. I can't find a bullet weight listed on the box, or a velocity. I doubt if they are even 29 gr- they seem to lose steam quite rapidly. The will just barely penetrate the brass base of an expired 12 ga hull at 25 yds- the plastic wad stops 'em cold. Looks like they'll be okay for close in small game. I have yet to try them in my 39-A- the scope mount needs some work. The barrel on that single shot is 26 3/4"- I may be experiencing barrel induced drag... Probably a good round for the Beretta Minx.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have had some of the CCI 22 short Hollow point. Mine didn't say high velocity anywhere on the box. I chronogrphed them in a 24" barrel and they went about 850 or so if I recall. I killed about 3 squirrels and 1 rabbit last year with them as I had a 22 short only 1890 Winchester. They are kinda fun and kill better than you think if you hit the animal right, but are a short range deal.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep- your'e right Marlinaholic- no high vel on the box- that comes from the CCI ammo brochure I have here....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi Doc:

The rounds you're shooting weigh in at 27 grs. CCI list a 27 grain Short High Speed Solid with a advertised MV of 1132 fps. Their 27 grain Short HP has a MV of 1164 fps. They also have a 29 gr. Target Solid that has a published MV of 830 fps.

I use their 27 gr. HP and have very good success with it. I shoot starlings, red squirrels, chipmunks, and pigeons with these rounds and would body shoot partridge or head shoot cottontails freely with them out to 30 yards. I use them in my Remington 572 pump and from this they shoot well. Good for any number of applications.

GOOD SHOOTING DOC! :)

Range Finder

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Range Finder. That velocity information pretty well jives with my shooting experience. Where did you find it? The Blount brochure (2 yrs old) doesn't list velocity info....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
137 Posts
Doc:

You're certainly welcome. I found this info in a publication called AMMO & BALLISTICS II by Bob Forker. It's the revised and updated volumn. I got it from the Outdoorsman Edge Book Club. It's got alot of newer ammo in it - at least to 2003. Hope this helps. :)

GOOD SHOOTING!

Range Finder

1 - 6 of 6 Posts