Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and an ol' buddy of mine went to Richland-Chambers reservoir last weekend. Too windy Saturday but Sunday it died down some and we hit it early that morning. We caught 39-mostly blues with a few channels in the 1 1/2 to 8lb range. They are running shallow now and easy pickings. Got them in 1 to 5ft water, most of them pretty close to the bank. We fished from 6:30 to 2:00pm and never got more than 1/2 mile from the boat ramp. It only took about 10min to catch enough shad for the day. Thank goodness for electric filet knives!

·
Administrator
14,840 Posts
msj348,

When growing up in Texas me and my dad used to catfish on the Colorado River. He had 1000' trot lines on big reels and I was the only one that would seine for bait and run the lines all night with him. Inks Lake had the biggest Blue Cat I have ever seen. We once snuck up to the dam at Buckhannan and threw out bread and caught a huge mess on rods and reels. We fished a lot at Falcon and Amstead. In fact, in 1962 when Hurricane Carla hit the coast we got caught in the middle of Amstead with out a prop on the little 15' fiberglass boat and no life jackets or paddle. That was 12 hr. of Hell. When I lived in N. Houston I always wanted to fish Lake Livingston but never had the opportunity. Have a fillet for me will ya?

Dave :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My brother lives in Kingsland, just outside of Marble Falls, and says he is tearing the cats up on Buchanan right now. Here in the next few weeks I'm going to try and help him out. I pass over Lake Amistad 5-6 times a year going out to our place NW of Langtry. Never fished it though it sure looks pretty. It's been about 20ft low for the past several years.

·
Administrator
14,840 Posts
When we fished Amistad there were no campgrounds. We backed up my dad's little trailer down the old highway to the water's edge and stayed in it. Where we camped we were on the Pecos river side and could see the Rio Grande and Pecos coming together from our spot. We would fish up the Pecos river and catch the sandies in the 2-2 1/2# range until we just got tired. We used Bombers to get deep and Texas Trailers and most time caught two at a time. There are sheer canyon walls on both sides of the river and we just trolled back and forth thru them as they moved and they couldn't get away because of the river and canyon walls. What a blast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts