Premium Member
16,855 Posts
Congrats

wheres the pictures

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I new she was fat but didn't realize she was full of row, until I cleaned her. I would have released her. On My first cast I got a bite and that fish was much stronger. I never turned it and it straightened the hook, a new one to boot. I retied with a circle hook. I am fishing 12 lb flourocarbon.

·
Super Moderator
19,139 Posts
I don't know if I have caught a 3 lb cat yet... I know the 5 lb cats are found in the Snake river.

You got some good eating there.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Yes, although there are a few species that are high on Mercury levels. Alligator Gars, Grindles (Bowfin) and Pickerls are consider toxic but a few folks will eat them around here.
What species of fish do you call "pickerl" down there? I'm not to familiar with Currituck. Was down there once in 1973 on a free
trip from a equippment company. We were told not to bring our own tackle. They put us up in a lodge and our fishing was for
Bass with shiners. We caught bass and were harassed by Gar. Other than a few Bowfin that's all we caught. I always wanted to
go back down there with my own bass tackle, drowning minnows ain't my style. Was only a 3 day trip so didn't get to see much
of the area.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'd rather catch catfish than bass any day. I recently caught one that measured 31" (didn't have a scale!) on a 5' ultralight spinning rig w/ 6 lb. line. He gave me the best fight of my life. Threw him back; I felt that he had earned his freedom.

Reactions: turbobug

·
Registered
7,689 Posts
:top: :congrats:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DRM50. A pickerl is actually called a Chain Pickerl and they are in the Pike family. Bass fishing had declined after the 70's. Before that Currituck Sound was called Sportsman paradise. Bass and Waterfowl where very abundant. Our Sound had plenty of grass on the bottom but an invader type of grass came in and choked the sound out. I remember that the Mil fold was so thick that you could barely Navigate it unless you had 50 horsepower outboard motor or better. I was told back in that time that Us Fish and Wildlife Department had introduced a fur bearing animal called the Nutria. I was told they were a native specie from South America and would be great for their fur. Turns out that the bear many offspring yearly and the fur was not as good as they thought. A Bounty was placed on them in the 70's, up to $2.00 a piece. That gave all us teenagers something fun to do and make a good profit. It was said that the Mil fold was introduced to feed the Nutria, because they were eating the Marsh. I could have this information in reverse or it could all be rumors. I was told that the Wildlife Service attempted to spray one or the other to reduce the contamination. Most of the Mil fold and better types of grasses became almost extinct. Any way our Sound suffered and most of the waterfowl failed to return and many fish species too. Its getting better. I have caught more bass in the last few years than Stripers, another Specie re-introduced to our waters. Most of our Commercial Fisher attempted to fight the stocking of the Stripers , saying the fish would kill the Blue Crab market.I heard them say You can't mess with Mother Nature remember the Nutria.

·
Super Moderator
7,177 Posts
government "scientists", whether state or federal, have always had the ability to screw up nature.

Several years ago, having been on the water myself at least 3 times a week for about 20 years, I saw it happen to all of our area lakes. God has a way of straightening thing out, if the "government" will stay out of it though.

jd

Reactions: Gabby1956

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
DRM50. A pickerl is actually called a Chain Pickerl and they are in the Pike family. Bass fishing had declined after the 70's. Before that Currituck Sound was called Sportsman paradise. Bass and Waterfowl where very abundant. Our Sound had plenty of grass on the bottom but an invader type of grass came in and choked the sound out. I remember that the Mil fold was so thick that you could barely Navigate it unless you had 50 horsepower outboard motor or better. I was told back in that time that Us Fish and Wildlife Department had introduced a fur bearing animal called the Nutria. I was told they were a native specie from South America and would be great for their fur. Turns out that the bear many offspring yearly and the fur was not as good as they thought. A Bounty was placed on them in the 70's, up to $2.00 a piece. That gave all us teenagers something fun to do and make a good profit. It was said that the Mil fold was introduced to feed the Nutria, because they were eating the Marsh. I could have this information in reverse or it could all be rumors. I was told that the Wildlife Service attempted to spray one or the other to reduce the contamination. Most of the Mil fold and better types of grasses became almost extinct. Any way our Sound suffered and most of the waterfowl failed to return and many fish species too. Its getting better. I have caught more bass in the last few years than Stripers, another Specie re-introduced to our waters. Most of our Commercial Fisher attempted to fight the stocking of the Stripers , saying the fish would kill the Blue Crab market.I heard them say You can't mess with Mother Nature remember the Nutria.
Hey Gabby great day fishing and yum looking good. Yes NC is famous for trying to alter mother nature, they still protect the red wolf program which has also been a huge disaster. maybe they will wise up.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Nutria fur isn't too bad but the nipples on their backs sure make for a funny looking coat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.