Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Captured a few wheelweights. Ready to make some ingots. Have some 3 inch channel but too lazy this weekend to weld up some molds. Do steel muffin tins work ok? Are they galvanized and contiminate the lead? All I see lately are Teflon. Will the throwaway aluminum ones melt through? This is supposed to save money so I hate to buy much.

·
Premium Member
16,813 Posts
Captured a few wheelweights. Ready to make some ingots. Have some 3 inch channel but too lazy this weekend to weld up some molds. Do steel muffin tins work ok? Are they galvanized and contiminate the lead? All I see lately are Teflon. Will the throwaway aluminum ones melt through? This is supposed to save money so I hate to buy much.
Hey CJ,

Thrift store item. Cast iron bread stick mold. Perfect ingots, every time.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Steel or aluminum bread tins, muffin tins, or cornbread molds will all work. But don't ever use them for baking afterwards.

Reactions: Sweetwater

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
And set them out to rust a bit before using them as molds. The lead will come out a lot easier.

ETA, also be careful how far you fill them. It's possible to cast muffin tin ingots too large to fit in some casting furnaces.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Or you can just melt the wheelweights in your casting pot, skim off the brackets, flux and stir, and cast away. That way you don't have to melt it twice.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Melting scrap lead in a bottom pour pot will get crud into the valve and cause leaking. If you're a dipper caster, then there is no issue melting scrap lead in the casting pot.

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
I used some mini-muffin tins I had until I got the ingot molds. The lil muffins just don't stack well...

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I broke down and built a double ingot mold out of 3 in channel. Melted some wts, spilled some, remelted and recast, broke some ingots getting them out, melted and recast. Wonder what cast 35 bullets cost already made?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts