Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was an old discussion on the Cast Boolits forum relative to making bullets by filling a mould with hotglue and shooting the resulting casting with only primers for propellant. The advantages:
* Cheap
* Good practice especially when weather conditions prevent shooting regular loads outdoors
* Bullets can be easily recovered and re-loaded again and again
* No recoil
* Quick and easy to load

Disadvantages:
* Not overly accurate (I got over 3" groups at 24 foot distance)
* You still have the primer residue to contend with
* Cases need to have their flash-holes reamed larger for the primer to adequately propel the bullet
thus making the case useless (and dangerous) for regular gunpowder loads thereafter.

Taking the experience of others into account, I thought I'd try it. I swabbed a Lee 148 gr. .38 wadcutter mould with a vegetable oil soaked Q-tip, then pumped the cavity full of hotglue through the spruehole just as if filling it with molten lead. It is important to leave a glob of glue on the top as it sucks some down while cooling just like lead does. It takes a bit longer for the glue to cool but it can be cut with the sprue cutter in the conventional way. I then finger-lubed each bullet with SPG lube and seated each one in a sized .38 special case as far as it would go into the case. These cases had their flash-holes drilled out to 1/8" and were marked for dedication to only this purpose. The primers, ordinary small pistol primers, were seated after the bullets were inserted. None of these loads generated enough punch to penetrate the first layer of a cardboard box at 24 feet, bouncing off to be easily recovered for re-use. They did break a paper target taped on the box though. One bullet stuck in the barrel with about half of it protruding from the muzzle crown. Use of magnum primers might provide enough extra umph to give more uniform velocity and enough to penetrate the box. This shooting was done with a 3" revolver.

I guess this proved to me that bullets can be cast of hotglue and fired by primers for impromptu practice. I would have to conduct considerably more experimentation before recommending it as a viable alternative to shooting conventional cartridges with gunpowder and cast lead bullets outdoors.

·
Registered
882 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
You can buy quite a bit of hot glue for $7.89 at Harbor Freight. 41Retro, I lube my gluellets with gun oil or ATF, Place them in a tub and tumble lube them just like you would a cast boolit and LLA. I also seemed to have better luck not using the sprue plate. Just fill the cavity so some glue stick out, and when it hardens it's easy to run a utility knife or razor blade across the top of the mold.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I used the same method as far as drilling out the flash hole with .38 Spl. cases but I heavily chamfered the case mouths and did a COOKIE CUTTER job using parafin blocks (used for canning) as the bullets. It worked very well for short distances in my basement and were very accurate.
The only problems I encountered was point of impact was alot lower (not that much of a problem as I was looking more for grouping).
#2 It was hard to do the Cookie Cutting due to air being trapped in the case so I would do it using a regular shell holder that would allow the air to escape away from my thumb.

It is probably cheaper and easier using the Parafin than using Hot Glue!

Hip

P.S. I heated the parafin in hot tap water to soften it prior to doing the Cookie Cutting. This method can be used with any straight walled case or even a bottle necked case if the neck is longer than 1/2"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.