Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am looking to start casting bullets but know nothing about it. When I say nothing I really mean I have zero tools and zero experience. It just seems like fun to be able to control (to some extent) the bullet. Do you have any books or videos you would recommend I get my hands on?

thanks
micky

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
micky, check out gunshops that sell reloading supplies, they should have books on casting lead bullets. Lyman has a good one and there are others out there also. Check Barnes & Noble and other book stores for info. Best of all check out the forum here on reloading and casting, lots of help. Take care, John.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

The best sight for casting. Get the Lyman and do a little research. Find what your gun likes. Limitations on plain based bullets (slow speed), hardness and lube. Sizing the bullet also makes a bunch of difference. I've a plethora of equipment and find myself now buying the bullets that I shoot frequently or use up my precious lead. Its getting harder to come by! I can cast for virtually anything, but time and that lead problem keep me from it occasionally. It will only save you money if you find free lead.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Greetings
+1 on the castboolits site.
Very good bunch of fellers with many years of casting experience willing to help interested persons along the trail.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The lyman cast bullet handbook is a paperback book the size of some magazines on steriods. It is one of the very best publications on casting bullets. RCBS also has videos that are helpful. Any reloading manual also has step by step how tos on reloading. Get some read all the parts on reloading and then you will be able to ask intellegent questions that will garnish you the help you seek. You are going about it in the right manor and it is refreshing to see someone willing to put the time in aquiring the basic foundation before jumping in. You will never be sorry you did. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Micky,
I am on my second Lee lead pot. The first lasted some 25 years. I get my lead at the local salvage yard and it is from the outside of what was underground wire. I cut it into pieces some 4-5" long with a sawsall, a mask and some welding gloves.
When melting, I always have to be careful that there is no water - not even a drop - in the lead. That single drop will cause that hot lead to expand rapidly enough so that it solidifies all over the ceiling and you too, if you are in the way. Always wear safety glasses, welding gloves and a heavy apron. Cast where there is good ventilation and where the floor will not be damaged when you get molton lead all over it. And you likely will.
I cast for all the big bores I shoot, because I could never afford to do the shooting I do, otherwise. For the 38's, 45's and such, I shoot too many to cast, so I just buy them.
Remember that most anything you cast, you will need to size. First I drive a round ball down the bore and measure it with a dial caliper for size. I get a mould that will cast this size plus .002 (Thousandths.)
You also have the option of getting a mould that you can install a gas check on the base of your new bullet. That will give you the option of driving them a bit faster without melting them in the bore.
But little is gained by these higher velocities. I cast for the pure and simple fact that I can shoot a lot more for the dollar. That is not a manual, just an idea of what you are getting into.
Bestboss

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mickey_blue, I do not what state you live in. But some states have now outlawed lead wheel weights which is a main source of lead for casters to use for casting their pistol and rifle lead bullets. Startup for casting lead bullets can be costly depending how far you get involved into it. If you have a free source or very cheap source of lead alloy, it may be worth your time to get involved into it and save money on your loaded ammunition.
If you do not have a good source of lead alloy that is cheap or free, you may want to think twice before investing in molds, buying lead alloy, melting pot, lube-sizer machine and dies. Some guys keep the price down by using tumble lube bullets and do not have to buy the lube-sizer machine and various sizing dies. I have been casting lead bullets for over 30 years and I tried the tumble lube methold and did not like it. Too darn messy for me, i do not like lube on the ogive of the bullet and too much time involved in cleaning the bullet ogive. I cast for 44 mag & 44 special, 38 & 357 mag, 45 ACP, 45/70 rifle and I have over 600 bucks invested in just bullet molds along.
You may want to look at buying your cast bullets. They can be cheaper then buying jacket bullets and if you need a custom sized bullet, you can get them from Beartooth bullets. For example, my Marlin 1894 has a groove dia. of .431 and will not shoot the normal .429 dia. with any decent accuracy. I purchased a custom mold for about $ 140.00 that will drop a 255 gr. Keith bullet for that gun at .434 dia. and size at .433. You can get 44 bullets from Beartooth sized from 429 to 432 dia. if you need a larger size. ;)

·
Registered
953 Posts
I read all I could to learn to cast but what really helped me was watching someone do it. To actually see it done, do a search on Youtube. That helped me alot. Key

·
Registered
830 Posts
You might check the Cast Boolit forum here.

Also, Ranch Dog makes molds that work real well with the Marlin rifles. My first mold was his 265-.432 mold. It works great for the 44mag rifle. The gas checks are easy to apply with his Lee sizer. The tumble lube is easy to apply for a beginner too. It was an easy way for me to get started.

Corbi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts