Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to cast and shoot cast 30-30 bullets. Mostly I use straight wheel weights gas check pan lubed bullets. I also load some standard jacked bullets. Is there any problem shooting both frm the same rifle? Do you have to clean the barrel between types of bullets?

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
There's no problem shooting cast and jacketed bullets in the same rifle....but yeah I would give the barrel a good scrubbing everytime I made the switch over.

There is a less labor intense solution. I solved the problem by having one rifle dedicated to jacketed bullets and several others for shooting cast. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
My Micro-Grooved Rifles Don't Seem to Mind if I Switch Back & Forth Between Jacketed & Cast.
Just So Long as the Cast Boolits Are Properly Sized & Hard enough. No Fouling Problems.
Now my '78 REM 700BDL in .308 Fouls BAD if I Shoot Both. Have to Clean It Every time I Switch.
Luckily My Marlins Like the Cast Boolits & Shoot 'em Great!
UncleSarge58

Reactions: GaCop and Salmoneye

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Either the Cast Bullet association or the Cast Boolits site had this issue. To get good accuracy for cast bullets the barrel needs to have any copper fouling removed. Once it is done switching back and forth does not make much difference. Many of the older rifles, especially milsurps would have a buildup and it would help to get them cleaned up. Many shoot either and claim no difference. Barrels are individuals and what works for one may not for another.

DEP

·
Registered
990 Posts
Agreed, I shoot both cast and jacketed bullets in all my 30-30's, one has the ballard style (336 Cowboy) and the others are micro groove. (336W and C) I have not seen any difference between either bullets. I also keep my speed down around 1600 FPS on my cast bullets and have no leading issues.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
I like to stop each cast session with at least 5 jacketed after.

Seems them jacketed take a bit of whatever is left in the bores grooves with it.

I've noticed the clean up seems easier doing it that way. Just me maybe.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Swany, I had a guy at a gun shop tell me that also. Had to do with revolver's, but he said to shoot a cylinder or two of jacketed bullet's after shooting wadcutter's. That it made cleanup easier. Sounded good to me just because copper is harder than lead, and I do use a bronze (copper/tin) bore brush...........

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Huh, thats interesting... Mine are usually clean from the gas check pulling anything out. I just have to dry patch to get out the carbon left in the barrel from the gun powder. Not in a 30-30 though as I dont have one yet... Yet!

Doc

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I've read that it can cause increase in pressure. Having said that, I'm with Swany and Doc here but, uh, I clean my rifles (excepting my 22 LR bores) pretty frequently and I'm not shooting .005" over bore either. Maybe I'm just lucky but my cast loads don't leave much behind in the bore.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Uh, wow. I'm glad this topic came up as it gave me an excuse to read through my newly acquired Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. I had no idea that BHN, lube properties, velocity and pressure had such an impact on leading the bore. Chapter 16. Cool.

Reactions: RickFoster

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I like to stop each cast session with at least 5 jacketed after.

Seems them jacketed take a bit of whatever is left in the bores grooves with it.

I've noticed the clean up seems easier doing it that way. Just me maybe.
Pretty much the same procedure I use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have shot a fairly decent amount of cast bullets in the last 15 years in handguns and rifles all of varying kinds of cartridges and bores. A rough guess would be about 8-10k a year, it has slacked a bit in the past couple of years. When I get a new to me gun there is a good chance it will not see another jacketed. I get all the fouling out and that takes some time to get the carbon/jacket material that may be in multiple layers out. I have found several ways to clean but won't go into that.
What I do know is a case of leading a jacketed bullet will not "blow" or "push" it out. It actually will iron it down into a very thin layer and make it harder to get out.
I was testing a new load in an '06 a couple of years after I started casting and fouled the bore. There was a fellow at the range that told me to shoot a jacketed in it to clean it. Without thinking I tried it as I had some jacketed for another project gun I was working with. FYI this gun was a proven cb shooter. That was the hardest to remove case of leading I ever had to clean. Never again.
Jeff

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
re-read what jsh posted.

Several Years ago, the American Rifleman ran an article about a test to clean up/remove lead residue by shooting jacketed bullets. Per the article, the test results showed that all the jacketed bullet did was to thin out and spread out the lead in the bore, not remove it.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
The large majority of my shooting is with cast bullets and most of my rifles never see a jacketed bullet.

I do have a couple of rifles I do shoot both cast and jacketed in. I have found that cast bullets can actually clean copper fouling from a barrel.

With regards to shooting jacketed to clean lead from a barrel, I have never done so since proper cast bullet loads will not leave any leading in the barrel.

Since most barrels that I have slugged are typically .001" over jacketed bullet diameter, I can see how a jacketed bullet could iron leading into the barrel.

w30wcf

·
Registered
14 Posts
As mentioned above with proper size, alloy and lube leading should be zero. I tend to look at jacketed velocities in the upper midrange areas on a few rifles in 30 caliber. In 308 and 06 I go for top end loads with a 180-200 grain cb.
30-30 to 358 I look for jackets speeds.
Same goes for my wheel guns in various center fire cartridges. I actually expect or chase the same accuracy from a cast bullet as I get with a jacketed.
In answering to the original post, at some point I think you will stay with cast or jacketed. I honestly don't see you getting the best of both worlds. It has been termed "seasoned" as to barrels. I can't prove it nor will I argue the point. Some say yes some say no, I can see a difference.
I did some what of a test for me a few years back with my favorite cartridge in a BF pistol 32-20 aka 30-20 because of the 308 bore. I shot around 1500 rounds one summer with out cleaning, just a dry patch. I did use a nylon bore brush on the chamber to remove lube residue in the throat. End of the years it was cleaned spot less with a few swipes of Kroil one patch of JB bore paste and a pass or two with more Kroil. Never saw any flyers or misses on targets unless it was my fault.
These loads were not your standard vanilla flavor loads. Bullet weight went from 140-180 grain plain base and gas checked. Powder was either bullseye or AA#9. Speeds ranged from 1100-1800fps.
Jeff

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
There's no problem shooting cast and jacketed bullets in the same rifle....but yeah I would give the barrel a good scrubbing everytime I made the switch over.

There is a less labor intense solution. I solved the problem by having one rifle dedicated to jacketed bullets and several others for shooting cast. :biggrin:
A genius solution! :)

The cleaning thing is a real pain, and it goes both ways. Jacketed bullets and cast lubricants just don't mix well from my collection, and getting a moly based lube out will give you a huge appreciation for how effective moly lubes actually are.

This year I'm headed west for deer/antelope, and my lever guns will not be going along. I'll load up a few boxes of cast and clean at the end of the summer. But it will take a while to get the lube out when summer is over. Some guys say shoot it out, but bullets are a bit to dear for that these days.

You might just want to go for that extra rifle.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Doubts

I have some doubts about cast bullets or jacketed bullets cleaning a barrel of metal deposits. I do not see how a cast bullet even with a gas check would clear a barrel of copper fouling. I think a jacked bullet wil "iron" lead residue in the barrel. Thus the basis for my question for more experienced shooters.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I have some doubts about cast bullets or jacketed bullets cleaning a barrel of metal deposits.
Rick, in my experience, not a chance.

Shooting "it" out just won't happen. I think you wind up with layers of cleaning problem, and the rifle shoots like poo until you get it out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts