Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

Premium Member
I tried crimping at the grove making them slightly longer than recomended coal, this with 46.5 grains made a much cleaner burn! This put me at 1,410 fps acording to a friends labradar. Done a new batch with 47.5 and 48 grains. Hopefully i'll be able to reach close to 1700 fps with my 18,5" barrel.

Thank you for all your insights!
Tactilever,

Looks like you reached the pressure needed for a cleaner burn down the barrel for the powder. Did the case seal better in the chamber? Less blow by soot on the case? The attached is a VV load manual with your powder. With a gas check bullet you should be able to reach your 1,700 fps target.

The limiting factor might be your shoulder and cheek bone. At my age the extra padding (meat) I had in my youth is no longer between the stock and contact points for me. Plus, all my levers have crescent steel butt plates!

rifle-reloading

Reactions: kobeinu

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I still get some blowby and soot at the foot of the case. I will try some annealing on the new brass and necksize some fired brass and see if the blowby persist.

The vv manual at 400 grains is a jacketed bullet, and I've been somewhat causious to use the same load for a led bullet. But after some reading on this forum and the Internet, I don't think the loads stated In the manual will be dangerous for my particular bullet.

Lucky for me as heavy loads go I've got the kiddie version with the thick rubber pad on the stock 馃榿 can't image shooting this peice with straight wood or steel on my shoulder 馃槵

Premium Member
Great to hear you've ironed out some issues. Is the 1700fps a hunting requirement or just a preference?

Reactions: Tactilever

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Great to hear you've ironed out some issues. Is the 1700fps a hunting requirement or just a preference?
It is for hunting, I think it'll meet the requirements at 1600 fps. But I figure the trajectory will be flatter on a faster bullet

Premium Member
I still get some blowby and soot at the foot of the case. I will try some annealing on the new brass and necksize some fired brass and see if the blowby persist.

The vv manual at 400 grains is a jacketed bullet, and I've been somewhat causious to use the same load for a led bullet. But after some reading on this forum and the Internet, I don't think the loads stated In the manual will be dangerous for my particular bullet.

Lucky for me as heavy loads go I've got the kiddie version with the thick rubber pad on the stock 馃榿 can't image shooting this peice with straight wood or steel on my shoulder 馃槵

Cast bullets are softer and will produce less resistance (pressure) than jacketed for the same bullet weight. You can load 2-3 each in .5 gr increments keeping an eye on the primer for excessive pressure signs. You should be able to reach 1,700 fps.

Good idea to anneal the case to improve sealing the chamber.

Registered
Don't forget as well as the above for cast boolits that the quality and type of lube used helps reduce resistance, and leading. I like to add a dash of carnauba wax for shiny bores and high speed loads.

Registered
Looking at your pics, I am reasonably certain the cause of the kernels is low pressure relative to what pressure the powder likes to burn at. You're in the low to mid 20 Kpsi pressure range, that powder will burn cleanest at 50Kpsi or above, which you're not going to get in that cartridge/platform. VV powders, when burning where they are happy, burn very clean.

I've ran into the same thing with 4895 class powders and the dirtiness does not seem to affect accuracy. If that powder gives good accuracy, I'd use it.

As stated by others, annealing will help a great deal with sealing and eliminating soot at the base. Again, something I've experienced with the cartridge using Starline brass and low pressure loads.

!700 fps is a good, reasonable goal.

Registered
I realise that a chronograph will be vital to find a optimal load, regrettably i lack the funds for it at the moment. Don't know what velocities I can reasonably expect with the shorter 18.5" barrel but I'd like to reach around 1600 fps
I use 47 grains of H322 to get 1600 FPS.

Reactions: Tactilever

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Looking at your pics, I am reasonably certain the cause of the kernels is low pressure relative to what pressure the powder likes to burn at. You're in the low to mid 20 Kpsi pressure range, that powder will burn cleanest at 50Kpsi or above, which you're not going to get in that cartridge/platform. VV powders, when burning where they are happy, burn very clean.

I've ran into the same thing with 4895 class powders and the dirtiness does not seem to affect accuracy. If that powder gives good accuracy, I'd use it.

As stated by others, annealing will help a great deal with sealing and eliminating soot at the base. Again, something I've experienced with the cartridge using Starline brass and low pressure loads.

!700 fps is a good, reasonable goal.
I've changed to vn130 powder and I'm getting much better results. At 47.5 grain it burns clean and I'm getting great accuracy along with a donkeys kick in the shoulder.

I was reluctant to change the powder but all the insights in here helped to change my mind. Might still try to find a working load for the vn133 powder, but that'll have to wait until I have a chrono 馃槉

21 - 30 of 30 Posts