Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Cast Performance 405 grain WLNGC

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Walstr 
#1 ·
I FINALLY got my hands on some new 450 brass.

Here's my latest project - I'm halfway done (got 50 of 'em loaded).

Hornady brass (2.10")
Fed 215 Magnum primer
Cast Performance 405 WLNGC
max load of H322
COL 2.520"

I will chrony them tomorrow (Sunday) - I'm just too busy today.

See less See more
#4 ·
chopaz - I use the max load listed for H322 which is 52.5 grains. I worked up to this with Rem 405's so I know the load is safe in my rifle. The hard cast has less bore friction so they will (should) be just fine.
The Rem 405's clocked 1950 fps. I expect somewhere between 1900 and 2000 from the hard cast.
First time I've ever shot hard cast, so I really don't know what to expect velocity wise in comparison to jacketed bullets.

gunner - I felt like a kid on Christmas opening those two boxes of brand new Hornady brass! All were within spec - maybe 1-2 thousandths short of 2.10". I neck sized them, chamfered the case mouths and got to it.
The primer pockets were NICE & TIGHT! ;D
Out of 100 pieces only 1 had a very small dent in the case mouth. About 3-4 were a little sticky going into my RCBS #4 shell holder - I guess the rims were a half a thousandth out of spec.

The rounds feed great in my rifle.....................I'm going to bust a couple off tomorrow morning for chrony #'s. I got two extra bullets in the 100 I ordered from Mike Rintoul. I ordered directly from Cast Performance. I had them at my house in 2 days. Awesome service!!!

Look for #'s by lunch tomorrow.

#6 ·
All I can say is 'WOW'! :eek:
These REALLY kick!

I fired 2 rounds to check for velocity and POI vs. the Rem 405's.

The 2 shots chrono'd as follows (10 feet from the muzzle):
2030 fps
2032 fps

for an average muzzle energy of 3673 ft lbs!

The primers were flat (as usual with my loads) but the web only increased not even a 1/2 of a thousandth.
These are only 7-9 fps faster than the published velocity of 2023 fps, so I know my pressures are OK.

POI at 20 yards was about 2" low and 1" right of where the Rem's hit. That makes sense given these are 80 fps faster - the 1" right adds up for going out of the right hand twist faster.
The 2 shots were an inch apart (I know I flinched on shot #2).

The average weight of the Cast Performance WLNGC was 401 grains.

Here is a picture of a recovered slug. It went through 12" of soil and destroyed a softball sized granite rock. The recovered weight was 200.9 grains. It is missing the entire nose. It looks like it got cut off from the rock as it blew it apart. It did not break from being too brittle or mushroom apart - I can see the striations from getting cut off.

These are now deemed as my 'Tomahawk Missles' for my 450. ;D

Beware Grizzlies, Moose and Charging Vehicles!!!

#7 ·
Thats interesting, of the brand new cases I have got from hornady They all range 2.08-2.085 tops.
All my oncefired brass from hornady manufactured ammo after resizing I am able to trim close to 2.095.
I don't think I have any that are actually a full 2.1"

Not questioning your load, sounds about max to me, but out of curiosity where did you find your data for the H322 that list that max? What temp did you fire it at?
Thankyou

#8 ·
The Hodgdon website. I only use their powders, as they are NOT temperature sensitive.

It was about 45-50 degrees.

#12 ·
Greetings; Did you have any evidence of a "lube ring" at the muzzle, thus showing the lube was "soft" enough & doing its job?

#10 ·
udy450m said:
Thats interesting, of the brand new cases I have got from hornady They all range 2.08-2.085 tops.
All my oncefired brass from hornady manufactured ammo after resizing I am able to trim close to 2.095.
I don't think I have any that are actually a full 2.1"

Not questioning your load, sounds about max to me, but out of curiosity where did you find your data for the H322 that list that max? What temp did you fire it at?
Thankyou
Length sounds a bit long to me as well. He says he neck sized them and I'm at a loss with a straight walled case that has no neck or shoulder. Hodgdon web page shows 52.5 gns of H322 as a compressed load for a jacketed bullet pushing 2000+ FPS.

#11 ·
Armymark said:
Length sounds a bit long to me as well. He says he neck sized them and I'm at a loss with a straight walled case that has no neck or shoulder. Hodgdon web page shows 52.5 gns of H322 as a compressed load for a jacketed bullet pushing 2000+ FPS.
Your kidding me, right? You must not reload. Neck sizing is simply using a die that ONLY resizes the neck or about the first 1/2" of the case - it does not resize the entire length of the case down to the rim (or belt in this case).
The 'neck' is what point of the case holds the bullet. It does not refer to a taper or shoulder.
ALL cases have a neck.

Yes, it is a compressed load. No I did not use a jacketed bullet (obviously).

No, I do not recommend just loading up the max and shooting it - I worked up to it using jacketed bullets which have more bore resistance and slightly higher pressures than the same load with hard cast bullet.

:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.