Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I had the opportunity to test my off hand shooting and LeftoverDJ's 180gr GC lead-tip bullets on a red fox at 65 yards. A center chest shot dropped the mangy looking red in it's tracks. I was very impressed with the shock exhibited with this Cast bullet from LeftoverDJ.
Sorry no pictures as this Fox didn't look healthy enough for me to handle.
The load was;
Winchester .30-06 brass
181gr GC lead-tip
41gr surplus WC 852s
fed GM210M primer

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Isn't it great to make those home-brewed babies do the job like that? You've come a long way in the handloading game. How'd the Virginia deer season go for you? Merry Christmas my friend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys. Ive had a marlin XS7 .7mm-08 for about a year now. I love it!!!!! Most accurate gun I've ever had.

I got a new XL7 .30-06 on saturday. Can't wait to shoot it. I've heard that the 165 and 180 grain bullets are better to shoot. Is that true? I would like to shoot the 180 grain bullet out of my gun because of one thing. KNOCK DOWN POWER!!!! How is the recoil on the 180 grain bullet? Which one would you guys prefer? My dad reloads all of my bullets. Any specific loads yall would recomend? Help me out please!!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,348 Posts
WOW! 6 year resurrection of a thread!

That was great exocution of a cast bullet back in 2004!! Good job!!

Congrats on the new '06!! The truth is "you'll know when you shoot it" - works for accuracy and recoil. Recoil is not only a product of bullet weight and velocity, but also of stock fit. I have two '06's that I inherited. They both like about anything I pour into a case. Favorite jacketed load to date: any primer, any case, any 180gr jacketed spitzer bullet, 54gr IMR4350. My Dad's load and took out 4 elk among other smaller game. It runs at 2625fps and sd = 21. He used 180gr Nosler PH, Speer hot core, Hornady, Sierra - they all worked with the same load. YMMV As always, use this data at your own risk. Follow prescribed handloading practices and stay safe!

Jeff
NRA Life

·
Super Moderator
13,365 Posts
I think the member he got the boolits from has passed away.

I load a Lee C312--185-1r over 13grs of red dot, sized to .311 in my october of 1918 Winchester P17.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts