Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found rust in my iron skillets that were seasoned once ,a very long time ago.I need to reseason them,I forgot how and a search just gave me about 10 different ways of doing it.I can't settle on any one way.What are your ideas on this matter?I have an electric oven to work with.Thanks in advance.Hurry up! , my mouth is watering for something good to cook up.

·
Registered
363 Posts
As you said, so many ways to do it... but here's how I do it.

First, how much rust is in your pan/pot? If you can just wash it with mild soap, hot water, and a 3m scrubber, and get the rust out, fine. If not, then using a piece of fine steel wool should remove the rust.

Then, wash clean and dry thoroughly. I strongly suggest you do NOT use vegetable oil as a seasoner. It can make the sides sticky. I use lard. Others use olive oil. I think lard is best. Others will differ.

Rub a thin coat of lard (rendered pig fat) onto the inside and outside of the pan/pot. Then place UPSIDE DOWN in your cold oven, turn the temperture to 250 and leave in the oven for two hours. (Make sure you have placed a piece of aluminum foil on the bottom of the oven in case a few drops of oil fall from the pan/pot.

Your kitchen might get a bit smoky, so disconnect your fire alarm, and perhaps open a window.

After two hours, check to see if you have any "dry" spots on the inside or outside. If so, rub some more oil over the pan/pot and place in the oven again. Once you have it seasoned, turn off the oven and let it cool down with the pan/pot cooling in the oven to room temperature.

That should do it.

Once you have your pan/pot seasoned, always make sure you do NOT wash it with soap and water after using. Soap takes out the seasoning and also allows the soap residue to accumulate in the tiny pores of the cast iron.

Got something sticking in the pan/pot?? Scrap out what you can with a spatchel, then put warm water in the pan/pot and let it soak awhile. Then you should be able to wipe out the stuff with a paper towel. Then, with the pan/pot DRY, warm it, (warm, not blistering hot), rub a thin layer of lard back into the iron and you should be ready for the next cooking session.

Always make sure your cast iron pans/pots are dry and reseasoned after each use by just wiping a very thin layer of lard over them before putting them away. You should not ever have any rust in them again, if you do this.

That's what works for me.

Good luck. L.W.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Leanwolf has it covered. Do not use canned spray oil as the alchol in the spray is not good for the pan. For awhile, stick the pan in the oven everytime you use the oven...just a little extra seaonsing...never hurts it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou men,I'll try the lard this time.This will be a good day to smoke up the wife's kitchen.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Campfire Crappie

We just had this at a cookout, not much to it but had to post it cuz it was soooo good.....

Take a dutch oven , 4" deep works good, or if your lucky enough to have one a cast couldren pot. Suspend over a moderate sized bed of coals, after filling halfway with peanut oil. While the peanut oil is heating to about 350, coat crappie filets in cracker crumbs seasoned to taste with salt and pepper. When the oil is hot carefully put in fillets, and let cook until they float. When they come to the surface, thet're done. We had boiled corn as a side, finger food!

OOOOPS! POSTED IN THE WRONG PLACE.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts