Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gents,

If I to get the 44 SS I also would want to cast my own bullits. With that said, I would get a lee mold no questions. I would like to know in your view which one would u get and why. I have my own thoughts, but just want to hear some third party input as well. I will be using them for hunt and target.

Here are the choices:

Thank you so much to all.

Cheers,
Mad

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I like the meplat on the 310 RF. Should put some smack on game and let you use a flat nose punch if you want to go with a traditional lube sizer instead of the Lee system. Gas check bullets are easier to get accuracy from when shot at top velocities too (you can get great accuracy with plain base, but checked bullets are easier).

Will the twist stabilize a 310 grain bullet?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FWiedner said:
Don't you think you might oughtta slug yer bore before makin' the decision?

:)
Lee's stuff always comes out .002 or so bigger than what they say it will with my used wheel weights. I use 3 of their molds with no slugging and so far it worked very nicely for me. But thank you for the heads up :)

Cheers,
mad

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imashooter2 said:
I like the meplat on the 310 RF. Should put some smack on game and let you use a flat nose punch if you want to go with a traditional lube sizer instead of the Lee system. Gas check bullets are easier to get accuracy from when shot at top velocities too (you can get great accuracy with plain base, but checked bullets are easier).

Will the twist stabilize a 310 grain bullet?
I like the 310 too, but I do not know if I would even need a gascheck with the velocity 44 offers. Will I? Good point though. Thanks :)

Cheers,
Mad

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Ranch dog does alot with this caliber. He'll tell you even now these Lee's usually are too small for the 94's. I don't have one, but have a 444. I use a custom mold that throws .433 and size to .432. You're going to need to order a custom sizer. Cast Boolet forum just had a gang mold group buy for the Ranch Dog bullet for 285gr. Too bad you missed it, but I bet there will be extras. I'd contact Ranch dog and find out. This is a large meplated bullet that goes fast! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did a quick search on google and found that group buy. Oh well... I guess the next time.

Thank you guys.

Cheers,
Mad

·
Registered
957 Posts
The 310 grain bullet won't shoot for me. It's just too long for Marlin's 1-38" twist. I have never been able to get a plain base bullet to shoot well in my 1894 past 1200 fps. That only leaves one bullet in the Lee lineup, the C429-240-SWC.

Lee's specs are nominal to plus .003. I have seen their moulds cast right at nominal diameter and most are just over. You'd have to get almighty lucky to get one that cast as big as you are going to need.

I was just given a C429-240-SWC. I'll try go get some cast and report back.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leftoverdj said:
I cast a batch and they cast about .429, way too small for my rifle.
Thank you.
I just got you PM too. I guess the only thing would be to lap the mold. I would do it :)

Cheers,
Mad

·
Registered
957 Posts
I lapped it. Dunno why, because I ain't gonna do much casting with a single cavity mould. Anyway, I did. Cast up a batch and waterquenched, sizing now. Got them up to .432 which was where they should have been all along. I'll give them a few days to harden and see how they do.

I'd sure hate to try to lap a six cavity mould and get all of them the same, though.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keep us updated :)

Cheers,
Mad

·
Registered
957 Posts
I've been playing. 16 grains of WC 820 (aka AA 9) will give me 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" 50 yard groups for the first five shots. It'll do it again in about 15 minutes, but it does not like a hot barrrel at all. Temperature was in the low 80s which might be a factor.

I'll keep playing a bit.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the update :)

Cheers,
Mad

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As some guys mentioned, the Lee mold casts too small of bullets for the 1894. My solution for the problem is not lapping the mold, but rather paper patching the bullets with patches made of tracing paper. I was able to shoot a nice group at higher velocities.

Cheers,
Mad

·
Registered
830 Posts
Mad,

This isn't Lee, but they will make whatever you need, and they seem reasonable.

http://www.mountainmolds.com/

I like the 310 gr mold best out of Lee. I am concerned about that heavy bullet stabilizing.

I also missed the group buy :cry: . I suspect a copy of the Beartooth 265gr bullet is the way to go.

Corbi

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I have the 90299. I picked it because I can shoot the Bullets as cast after application of the lee lube in a freezer bag and I do not have to mess around sizing them. They are planty accurate out of both rifle and pistol.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
buckeyeshooter said:
I have the 90299. I picked it because I can shoot the Bullets as cast after application of the lee lube in a freezer bag and I do not have to mess around sizing them. They are planty accurate out of both rifle and pistol.
I have the same one, but it does not shoot well unless I load them light.
For BlueDot it is suggested to load between 15 and 16.6 gr., but in my case it will shoot well at the max of 10 or 11 gr.

If I paper patch the same bullets with tracing paper then I have no probs shooting them at 16 gr and up.

Cheers,
Mad

·
Registered
12 Posts
My mod 94(Lyman rear sight, MG barrel) shoots 3/4 " groups at 50 yds with the Lee 310 bullet cast with lyman #2 alloy, GC, RCBS rifle lube sized .430"; IMI case, CCI mag primer, 9 gr Power pistol. The bullet is ideal for the levergun because you can seat it out to touch the rifling when it chambers and it still works through the action. I also get very good accuracy with the same bullet cast 4ww/1pb, no GC, using 8-1/2 gr of unique.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts