Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a Marlin camp nine earlier this year and I was interested in possibly shooting cast thru it. Some fellows say that the Micro groove barrels and cast bullets don't mix well. Would like some input from some more expierinced casters/shooters

·
Registered
953 Posts
Cast boolits work great in Microgroove barrels if they are sized to the barrel. I shoot 30-30 and 44mag with Microgroove barrels. I size my 30-30 boolits to .310 and my 44's to .432.
For your 9mm you might have to use .357 or .358 cast boolits.

Key

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Yep, I'd give cast a good test before changing rifles or going to "J" boolits.

I had a micro-groove .44 that shot just fine with cast.

I think that most of the negative comments are likely not well founded on fact or good testing and boolit design/size.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
My .357 microgroove Shoots Cast just fine, Thank you!

Current load is 125g RNFP, sized .359 (from Dardas) under 8g of Blue Dot.
Standing, offhand, open sights, I can put 10 rounds into a 2" group regularly.

Ed

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Heat treated, cast bullets will do fine, as will properly lubed bullets cast of linotype.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I fired 310gr boolits cast of WW with zero problems in a Marlin Microgroove barrel.

These were full blown .44mag loads which clock over 1300fps from a 5.5" RedHawk.

Get the correctly sized boolits for your firearm, and enjoy while forgetting all the negative hype about cast in Microgroove barrels.

Possibly there are some problems with some firearms, but I have the feeling it is highly over stated.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts