Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a great combo for my 1894fg 41 mag. Lil gun powder and cast performance 265gr wlngc. I got a little lucky they function just fine at 1.71" col. I am getting 1838 fps with this load and the best accuracy of any load I have tried(210xtp, 210 gold dot, 180xpb, all with lil gun and h110). I have never used hard cast to hunt with before, so I would appreciate some opinions. With hard cast is your point of impact the same on a deer as with a jacketed bullet or what is preferred point of impact on the animal? Also I will be working in the near future on figuring the drop of this bullet at longer distances. What you expect this bullet to be good to distance wise to still do the job, providing I can do mine?
Thanks, JDMAX

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
A 265 gr slug at 1800 fps should be flat out wicked for deer and maybe even bigger stuff. I've been dropping deer on the spot with 225 gr cast slugs at about 1700 fps out of my FG. And, yep, that's with Lil'gun powder. In the heart and/or lungs will do the trick; hitting bone in the process just speeds it up. I don't know what your bullet drop might be at longer ranges but I sight in about one inch high at 50 yards and that gives me an impact about three inches low at 100. Lack of accuracy due to bullet drop is the limiting factor for anything farther out. I, personally, won't hesitate in shooting out to 100 yds. As added bonus, there is NO blown-up meat. Sounds like you are all set for big game season.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts