Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Where do you get your cast bullets? - Badman Bullets

2. Why? - The price is good, $27 for 100, they don't jab you on shipping, and they do a military discount. They seem to shoot pretty good too!

3. What powder and charge do you put behind it? What firearm? - I put about 36.6 grains of Reloader 7 (thats what my pro autodisk (double) setup throws on average. Put a decent crimp on it as well. Shot from a ported 1895G "Guide Gun".

Something like this!

Thanks for your responses.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Wow, that's a tough one, I keep a spreadsheet of most of the cast bullet manufacturers and purchase from all over the places based on bullet type/weight/price/which rifle/long range/short range etc. I currently load 9mm- 45-70..about 20 different rifle/pistol calibers in all...I schedule my reloading days based on what I WILL be shooting....makes for some long reloading sessions. :)
This is only a fraction of the bullets I use......

·
Registered
19 Posts
I cast my own.
It's a MM mold and it is 325+-.So far i have shot it with Trail Boss the most.
The crono says it is going 1238 fps.
I have been playing with some other powders and they do look promising.

This rifle has only had these shot out of it,no jacketed so far.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Cast my own.

Molds from Accurate, NOE, Heavy Metal, H&G , LBT and Saeco.

Use NO gaschecks, because I'm cheap.

Use mostly wheel weights, also because I'm cheap

Most used powder is Bullseye in all calibers. Both revolver and rifle

I load handgun calibers from .32 ACP to .45 Colt and rifles from .300 Rook Rifle through .375 H&H all with Bullseye.

For those who want to know, #375449 i the .375 H&G with 13 grs. Bullseye gives 1300 fps and is a fine deer load much like the .38-55

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
from my lead pot, i use ww

·
Registered
332 Posts
Wow, that's a tough one, I keep a spreadsheet of most of the cast bullet manufacturers and purchase from all over the places based on bullet type/weight/price/which rifle/long range/short range etc. I currently load 9mm- 45-70..about 20 different rifle/pistol calibers in all...I schedule my reloading days based on what I WILL be shooting....makes for some long reloading sessions. :)
This is only a fraction of the bullets I use......
Hi Mazzer,

Whats the 4th one from the right? Penn Bullet Spitzer?

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
johnhenry57- that is a Western Bullet company 480gr Spitzer. It's my favorite long range bullet for my sharps.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Carolina cast bullets - 360 grain ranch dog

Cheap but good bullet for marlin with a .330" meplat

57.5 grains of Varget in my 1895 XLR. Gets around 1950 fps.

Reactions: Rick R and rlm1

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Cast bullets

1. Where do you get your cast bullets? - Badman Bullets

2. Why? - The price is good, $27 for 100, they don't jab you on shipping, and they do a military discount. They seem to shoot pretty good too!

3. What powder and charge do you put behind it? What firearm? - I put about 36.6 grains of Reloader 7 (thats what my pro autodisk (double) setup throws on average. Put a decent crimp on it as well. Shot from a ported 1895G "Guide Gun".

Something like this!

Thanks for your responses.
Hey 2002,

For commercial cast, it is hard to go wrong with either one of these Penn Bullets INC. | Custom Cast Bullets or Moyer's Cast Bullets, cast lead handgun bullets, cast lead rifle bullets

Use a couple of home cast bullets as well.:flute:

Mostly use Universal Clays in the 38-55. Use HS 6 and Universal Clays in the 45/70. :biggrin:

For more "spice" in the 45/70, either of the 4198's or H 322 get the nod. With the 4198's, one can load from 1200 fps, to 1800 fps.

Have found "best" accuracy (for the most part) in the "top" of the Trap Door Section of the Manuals. (have plenty):flute:

How do they shoot?

Later, Mark

Attachments

Reactions: Leverforever

·
Registered
473 Posts
Commercial: Beartooth.
Home cast using Ranch Dog molds.

Ken CO

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
"The kill anything that walks on the planet round"

430gr FNGC Ranch Dog cast 17bhn. Brew them right up in the compound
lube, made in the kitchen ( when Mrs Pard aint home) 1lb bee's wax, 1lb lard, 8oz STP (oil treatment)
42gr Reloader 7, followed by a veggie wad an tuff of dacron.
any case but Hornaday
CCI BR LR Primer

Thats 1750fps out the 1895

When Im old I may drop the powder so it gets 1450fps, Till then its spheres to the wall.

For the Buffalo Classic:
405 gr Lyman original trapdoor mold (so Lyman says) RNPB
68gr holy black, 2gr green dot (dont try this at home kids, only us professional idiots can. Duplex rounds can be bad mojo)
same primer and cases as above
1350ish fps, easy on the arm, goes a long ways

No store boughts for me, At 9-15 cents a round, who in their right mind would buy buck a piece rounds?

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Mostly pour my own and have been doing it since 1969. I have lots of pure lead, some linotype and many ingots of number 2 alloy. I still have some cans of cast sized and lubed 44,45 and 357's that I bought at the Lakeland gun show years ago for $15 for 500.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Oregon Trail and Missouri Bullet Company. I cast my round ball and just need to put aside enough to buy a few molds. Too many things to do, not enough time.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I get mine from John at Americast. He is local and goes to all of the regional Cowboy Action shoots as well. I avoid shipping costs this way. He even has some rifle bullets in 50 packs so you can try them out without having a big investment in bullets that you may not like.
He will ship bullets, but I take advantage of being local to avoid the extra money.
If you have any Cowboy Action shoots near year check with them as I am sure they have a similar distributor.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts