Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that a cast bullet should be oversized by about .002. My 1895 GG slugged at .4575. Should I order bullets oversized even though they will have gas checks ?

·
Registered
969 Posts
static,

I always try to load the largest diameter cast bullet that will still allow the round to chamber. The cast boolit will swage down to fit when fired, with or without a gas check. If you are going to try for high velocity you will probably need a gas check. Maybe your source of bullets can send you a sample pack with different bullet diameters to find what works?

BB

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bikerbean,
I didn't know if the gas check made a difference or not.I was wondering about it when I looked at the Beartooth bullets. Actually,I only want to reach a nice comfortable velosity with the 405 gr. bullet so as not to injure my old shoulder anymore then it already has been.My main concern,of course, is leading and I was thinking the gas check would actually check the leading.I might not even need a gas check for my needs.Not being familar with shooting cast bullets,except for a few Cast Performance 405 bullets with gas checks at about 1400 fps.(book estimates) from a lead sled.I don't know where the plain base or the need for the gas check ends or begins as far as velosity/leading concerns.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I would go with a gas check in case you change your mind in the future about the velocity you selected. With a .459 I wouldn't worry about leading. My GS barrel measures the same of yours and I can shoot 50 rounds and clean the barrel with a few dry patches to a mirror finish. I noticed a lot of people with remington made guns shoot .460 but in my case it's not needed. For some real fun try to find a can of trailboss. I use 15 grains under a 350 grain bullet for around 1000 fps book estimate. You can shoot it all day and still hear that thunk when they hit the target. My 13 year old shoots them without our sled and I can put them in one ragged hole at 50 yards.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I shoot .459" bullets in mine, gas check or plain base and have never experienced any leading. Plain base bullets at 1400fps will not lead a bore. Gas checked bullets are good for loads approaching 1800 fps.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sounds Like you need those Bullets sized to .459 Thats what I cast/size for mine and for my Mouse fart loads I shove 26 grains of 2400 under that bullet I know MOST of youboys must think I,m nuts But if ya have a Lyman 43rd or 46th They have 2400 Data in there and back in the day they were using Herc powder and supposadly the IMR is supposed to be reduced by 1 grain at max loads so reading the data on the 2400 Your right in the ballpark with 26 grains Nice little LOW recoil load and with Recluse,s -45/45/10 lube I don,t get leading with even PB bullets and MAX Loads
Enjoy It,s all Good
DOGG!!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks men.Good replies,indeed. Looks like I have some good options that will fill the bill and won't have to worry.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Keep us posted on your results. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Sounds Like you need those Bullets sized to .459 Thats what I cast/size for mine and for my Mouse fart loads I shove 26 grains of 2400 under that bullet I know MOST of youboys must think I,m nuts But if ya have a Lyman 43rd or 46th They have 2400 Data in there and back in the day they were using Herc powder and supposadly the IMR is supposed to be reduced by 1 grain at max loads so reading the data on the 2400 Your right in the ballpark with 26 grains Nice little LOW recoil load and with Recluse,s -45/45/10 lube I don,t get leading with even PB bullets and MAX Loads
Enjoy It,s all Good
DOGG!!!
I love 2400 powder for reduced loads... I bought 24lbs of it so I wont run out!!

Doc

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
What is the best temp/technique when casting to get the biggest diameter bullet possible without beagling the mold? I have a 379449 mold I use for my 375's and normally I can get .379" out of it when I let things cool a bit between casts. Any tips?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cant tell you a temp but I cast hot and with some tin in the mix to cast big. For the OP if you can find .460 bullets that's what id buy, let your barrel size them to the correct dia
c.t. smith,
Thanks for the reply.I was thinking in terms of going to a larger diameter, now I just need to figure out where I can get some and who has them with gas checks.

·
Registered
969 Posts
In most cases, the harder the alloy the bigger the boolit O.D. I have a lee mold, (500g 458cal RNGC) that will through about .459" with WW. Casting a mix of lino and monotype in this mold gave be a O.D. 463" but I also lost about 25g of weight.

BB

Reactions: Sparky civil

·
Registered
143 Posts
As far as temp goes alot matters on what kind of molds your using Aluminum/Steel or Brass then heat is something thats gonna vary quite a few degrees
What kind of alloy are YOU casting with I myself use a hard ball mix for my 45-70 but hell I know people that are using WW alloy with 45/45/10 Lube
Any you Men that cast out there Ever use the The Lead Alloy Calculator ? It,s a fine way to go if your mixing a whole bunch of different Alloys for different shooting irons and want to keep that recipe for the next Mix

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have casted bullets a bit but thats all been for my .45 acp so far. And at the velocity those go down range they are for more accurate then anything you buy. Now as for the .45-70 I have a Remlin and have been shooting the .457 diamter lead bullets. It may not be one hole accaurcy but having the largest rifle range out here of 100 yards I find it to be suffuicent for my needs for right now. But when I start casting my own I have my own lee molds 405 grain .457 molds they cast big for me for my .45 so I magine they will probaly be around .459 anyways. Just my thoughts. My Lee molds have always made alrger diameter bullets then what is stamped on them. Just my .02. By the way I shoot on Pyrdoex in my .45-70 as smokeless anything is hard to find. Less than 40 dollars a pound locally. So I use the bp subsitue since it runs about 13-17 bucks a pound.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have casted bullets a bit but thats all been for my .45 acp so far. And at the velocity those go down range they are for more accurate then anything you buy. Now as for the .45-70 I have a Remlin and have been shooting the .457 diamter lead bullets. It may not be one hole accaurcy but having the largest rifle range out here of 100 yards I find it to be suffuicent for my needs for right now. But when I start casting my own I have my own lee molds 405 grain .457 molds they cast big for me for my .45 so I magine they will probaly be around .459 anyways. Just my thoughts. My Lee molds have always made alrger diameter bullets then what is stamped on them. Just my .02. By the way I shoot on Pyrdoex in my .45-70 as smokeless anything is hard to find. Less than 40 dollars a pound locally. So I use the bp subsitue since it runs about 13-17 bucks a pound.

Don,t know anything about the newer Lee Molds but I know I had an older one that used to drop a perfect .457 slug only problem is my 45-70 NEEDS a .459 so in my quest for Molds I found 3 that Drop at .461/.461.5 and .462 so with one of my sizers I can get it to .459 I was really considering sending one of my Star dies out to Chris Smith (aka Lathesmith)(Best Star Dies Made)to hog it out to .459.5 and see if I can do Just A Little better with the Rifle Just had him make me a new one too not thinking at .459
Anyway If you like the way your Rifle shoots no reason to change unless you Want to try something different Did you Slug your barrel ? Cast your Throat ? Untill all this is done you REALLY DON<T KNOW what your Rifle is capable of handling in Bullet diameter and what KIND of bullet would be the BEST Bore rider for that Rifle Just my 2cents
If you start casting you really do need a sizer of some kind lee makes ( I don,t own or use one) that push thru sizer for your reloading Press I hear they work pretty good and are somewhat inexpensive
Good Luck to ya on your Quest to working with that silver -------GOLD
DOGG!!!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Doc, noticed you daid you had 24lbs. on hand, didn't want to run low, I agree! When you get down to 10 lbs. re-order and get 20 lbs, just sayin'. Take care, John.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Doc, noticed you daid you had 24lbs. on hand, didn't want to run low, I agree! When you get down to 10 lbs. re-order and get 20 lbs--------Amen Brother
DOGG!!!

·
Registered
969 Posts
I just parted with 8# of SR 4759, but it went to a very good friend who just happens to cast and send hard to find boolits my way. I ain't sayin' how much 4759 I have left because I don't want you guys battering down my front door with a ram.:biggrin:

BB

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
I just got a 45-70. Haven't bothered to slug the barrel (and won't unless current mold/bullet is just dismal). Instead, started with the Lee 405 HB, WW + 2% tin, at .459/.460 (forget exactly). So far, only shot 3 rds of it, over 38.5 grns of I-3031 (Waters Springfield Pet Load - most accurate). All I did was fire 3 rds, 25 yds offhand, but it looks good. Wouldn't even know I had shot lead, and didn't clean the jackets out first.

I have the above load, plus over 2400, Unique and some other IMR and other powders (about 7 diff loads). All in the ~1300-1500 fps range. Need to shoot them all from bench to see what the rifle prefers. But think the 405 HB at .459-.460 will work very well. Hopefully the 3031, Unique or 2400 will be tops... And confident any will do deer in inside of 75 yds, which will be a long shot for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.