Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I asked this before :oops: but here goes. If you use this mold what load do you use and [I finally got a Lee hardness tester] what hardness are the bullets you are casting? Are you using an alloy mix, water drop, or oven to control the hardness level. I have a Glenfield 30 I picked up earlier this year and it just looks like it wants to shoot lead. I have lots of lino, ww, and pure on hands. If I need tin, I'll have to get it from Midway. I would prefer to end up with a bullet suitable for target shooting and still expand well enough to shoot deer with. I have cast for over 40 years for pistols but casting for rifles is going to be new for me. My first tries are going to be R.D.s 444 mold and this 30-30. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Rick :D

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Hello Rick,

I use this bullet quite a bit. Got a 6 banger 311041 fromt he cast bullet forum not long ago. Also have 311440, but that is beside the point. My gun likes these better than anything. I started simple and stayed that way with the alloy. I use plain wheel weights water quenched. I've used theim air cooled and would do this for hunting. I might be tempted to take the water cooled wheel weight bullet and soften the nose (while sitting in water), with a butane torch. I usually use 3031 to whatever velocity I'm after. If I'm plinking, 27gr. will work just fine. This also would do for a hunting load. As to hunting with a 30 cal. and lead, I have little experience. Only what I've heard. I started hunting with lead and the bigger calibers, and I do know this works fine. 35, 444 and 45-70 are very deadly. I've used water quenched on the 444 and 45-70, but not the 35. Air cooled worked best for it. I know a water cooled (brinnel 22) 311041 would pencil right through a deer. A air cooled (brinnel 12), would POSSIBLY expand depending on distance. Most of the experienced cast bullet shooters learn closely the limitations of their bullet/ and load and experiment with their load as much as possible prior to hunting with it. I'm using my 32 Win. Special this next Fall, and have found it does well with air cooled wheel weights and impacting paper, I tried it out on a road kill critter not long ago, and it will accomplish the task nicely! :oops: I also shoots a 170gr. slug with a middle sized meplat. The bullet expanded nicely to 150 yards with a starting velocity of 2100fps. (which is more than recommended). I would like to extend this range to 200 yards by the time hunting season begins. It seems it will do this. The gun will shoot plain wheel weights very fast and not lead. The sharper twist of the 30-30 may linit this somewhat. The newer 1 to 12 twist of my 30-30 CB is helpful in keeping the leading down (as is the ballard rifleing). The new XLR also has this 1 to 12 rifleing. I size to .311 for my microgroove and Ballard as well. RCBS makes a 180gr. that makes 190gr. WW bullet. When shot with AA2230 ( I think about 26gr), I get 1950fps, and a very deadly combination. This might be where I started with a 30-30. Sending these air cooled wheel weights down the tube too fast may cause leading, or more importantly fracturing of the bullet at closer ranges. I can't imagine this would matter too much, but this is what I'm told. I almost never get a closer shot than 100 yards, so I need more distance out of a gun. The higher velocities are fine with me. The air cooled wheel weights expand fairly reliably with the bigger calibers, but a little inconsistantly with a 30-30. There are as many opinions as shooters, so talk to someone on the cast bullet forum. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts