Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
Had to let everyone know I finally got to try my cast bullet load in my .357 S&W 19-4 revolver. I have been playing with the Lyman 358156 SWCGC bullet in my 1894C and 1894CBL. The 358156 weighs 164gr lubed and gas checked and I've
been shooting it in the rifles with 15gr of ACC#9, standard small pistol primer, loaded in .357 magnum cases. Shoots super
in my 1894C @ 1750fps. Last Friday I was at my best friends family farm shooting a variety of rifles and decided to try the
rifle load in my S&W 19-4 four inch combat magnum. I did not chronograph it yet out of the revolver, but at 25yds offhand
it put five shots (only loaded 5) into one of the small "shoot-n-c" targets! I was really pleased. It's great to have one load
for both rifle and handgun, but when the same load shoots into the "sweet" spot on both, it's something to be happy about.
This is not something I worked at to happen, it just came out that way. When I chrongraph the load out of the S&W 19-4
with it's four inch barrel, I'll let everyone know. By the fierceness of it out of the revolver, I believe I'm getting between
1100fps and 1200fps with that 164gr cast bullet.
358 Win

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts
Having one load that shoots well out of your combo guns sure saves a lot of time and aggrevation when it comes to reloading. Your AA9 load is an awful lot like my Lil Gun load, a little less powder and slightly more bullet weight, but the same velocity. I only shoot Remmy 158's out of my 357's, they all LOVE that bullet and they're worth what they cost, since I buy several thousand at a time.

Isn't it nice when you find a good combo load on the first try? 8)

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
papajohn said:
Having one load that shoots well out of your combo guns sure saves a lot of time and aggrevation when it comes to reloading. Your AA9 load is an awful lot like my Lil Gun load, a little less powder and slightly more bullet weight, but the same velocity. I only shoot Remmy 158's out of my 357's, they all LOVE that bullet and they're worth what they cost, since I buy several thousand at a time.

Isn't it nice when you find a good combo load on the first try? 8)
It sure is Papajohn, especially by pure happenstance no less!!!! Just wanted to see how it shot in the S&W 19-4 and eureka
it shot super!! That's a pretty stout load for continual use in the K frame S&W, but I won't be shooting a steady diet of them but it sure is a good hiking/hunting load! Can't wait to send some over the chronograph to see how fast they are. Even if the velocity is lower than expected from the four inch barrel, it's still gonna be my go to load for serious work due to the extreme level of accuracy achieved. My best friend who was with me when I shot the 19-4 said, "Now that's shooting like the Bob of years ago!" He knows my vision problem as a result of Diebeties so we were both pleasantly surprised. Always like to test my loads offhand, no rest, to get an idea how I'm gonna do standing on my own two legs when the need arises.
Thanks Papajohn for reading about my good luck with this load.
358 Win

·
Banned
16,492 Posts
Good deal all the way around!

My combo load is the Win 158 grain JHP bullet (same reason as PJ - shoots good, available in bulk) and either 13.0 grains new 2400 or 16.2 grains L'il Gun. For more pleasant revolver and carbine loads I use the RCBS 150 grain cast SWC (it weighs 155-157 grains depending on alloy mix) and 6.5 grains of Unique. This load shoots a couple of inches high and slightly right at 75 yards in my 1894 with sights set for the JHP loads but is as accurate as am I and makes some satisfying smoke.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks biku324! I had the S&W 19-4 sighted in for my 173gr 358429 cast bullet load and 5.4gr of Unique, so I was astounded when the 358156 164gr rifle load shot to POA! No sight adjustment was necessary at all. My Ruger Super BH
44 Magnum is the same way shooting to POA with various mild and hot loads. The one load out of the 44 Magnum Ruger that was not to POA was a 180gr JHP at 1600fps and it shot low due to less barrel time for the bullet. Unbelievablely accurate, just shot low about four inches from point of aim. The way that 19-4 shot the rifle load made happier than a two
petered puppy. Anxious to see what the 19-4 does over the chronograph and also want to shoot that load out of my match
tuned Ruger Security Six. This experience sure has me worked up like I haven't been in a long time!
358 Win

·
Banned
16,492 Posts
Those M19s are just a joy! I was issued a couple for most of the '80s, only moving to a 686, then semi-autos, when we had to always fire duty ammo for qualification (Federal 125 grain JHP in revolvers). That continuous, regular fire with heavy loads prematurely ended the service lives of dozens and dozens of aging M19s, almost always due to timing issues.

My horseback revolver is a Security Six now simply because if I go off the saddle deck and damage it, I can replace it reasonably. It's almost as accurate as any of the Smiths I've carried, but nearly indestructible. However, my Smith 544 in 44/40 is making me feel like a father abandoning a child when I go out, so maybe I'll make a change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts