Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to start hand loading for my 336 in 35 Rem. The only cast bullet mold I can find that seems correct is the Lyman 358315 RNGC bullet. This being a round nose bullet is there and concerns for misfires inside the tubular magazine? What is anybody else using for a cast bullet? Thanks, Flatside

·
Registered
3,608 Posts

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
I use the same as Doc but only in a 2 cavity. Because I powdercoat I'm thinking of asking Tom at Accurate Molds about a mold without lube grooves only crimp groove:hmmmm:

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Flatline, I've wondered the same thing. Would it raise pressures? May not be related but doesn't barnes add grooves to bullets to get pressures down on the longer ones? Would powder coat have the lubricity of regular lube? Just a few things I've pondered. Anyone??

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
I think/feel the powdercoat covers the lube. I am having great success, no leading what so ever. As far as the pressures, that I'm not sure, but think, a jacketed bullet has no grooves.:hmmmm: If sized correctly, it should not be a problem.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Yes, Powder coating removes the need for lube as it acts like a jacketed bullet... I have tried powder coated bullets in a few different guns but not the 35 Rem yet.

Doc

·
Registered
20,274 Posts
cast bullet loads will have higher pressures than copper jacket bullet loads with the same amount of powder. coating the cast bullets may help with pressures. just don't try to "hot rod" cast bullets. thats when they lead the barrel.

·
Super Moderator
6,348 Posts
Cast bullets of proper alloy, lube, and sizing love to be hot rodded ie approaching 2600fps in a 356W with 200gr cast and 20" barrel. No leading here. I have found there are almost no hard and fast "rules" when it comes to cast bullets. They have no soul and will do what you ask of them, as long as you make them correctly for the application. Then, I get a new education and find 1300fps and 1400fps enough to reach 1000 yards, so will be fun to see how they play at 50 yards when we spot and stalk this hunting season. The combinations are endless....

Jeff

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Always read cast has less pressure for the same powder charge than jacketed bullets. I haven't shot that much cast in high pressure cartridges, mostly handgun rounds, but find higher velocity with the same powder charge with cast. DP

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
cast bullet loads will have higher pressures than copper jacket bullet loads with the same amount of powder. coating the cast bullets may help with pressures. just don't try to "hot rod" cast bullets. thats when they lead the barrel.
There are guys on the cast boolit forum that are pushing cast boolits over 3000fps with no leading. With proper fit, lube or powder coating there should be no leading at any fps.

Doc

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I use the Lyman bullet the OP is referring to and it is a most excellant projectile in my .35 Rem Marlins. I use 10.0 grains of Unique for a good blasting/plinking load. I also use the RD projectile designed for the .35 Rem. It is a bit fat and I have to deep seat it to get it to chamber reliably but it also shoots very well and I love that 6 cavity mold. I like to keep about 900 rounds on hand. I'll shoot them all up over a short period of time and then repeat the reloading process. I have had good results with the RD bullet in my 14 inch TCC in .357 Herrett.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I appreciate all the feedback, I have some of the Lyman 358315, could I make arrangements with someone who is casting the RCBS 35-200 to procure a few to try in my rifle to compare them? Thanks, Flatside

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I appreciate all the feedback, I have some of the Lyman 358315, could I make arrangements with someone who is casting the RCBS 35-200 to procure a few to try in my rifle to compare them? Thanks, Flatside
Sure ... if you stick around and get to know us a little bit. Get some posts under your belt. Have some fun, etc.

But wait, you posted the request for sample pills on 8-30-14, today is 11-14-14, (almost three months ago), and then disappeared?

Friend, you gotta post more than 4 times in over two years to expect us to ... well, nevermind.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
In my SG 35 I have pushed 200 and 225 grain cast bullets to 2600+ fps, 260 grain bullets to 2470 fps, and in my SG 444 300 grain bullets to 2500 fps...........no pressure issues, no leading. Its all about alloy, lube, and bullet diameter to bore size fit. As far as pressures, Marshall Stanton ran some tests: Cast bullets produce higher velocities at lower pressures than jacketed bullets....this is the same conclusion I have come to through my testing. So, drive em hard and fast gentlemen!!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I do not cast my own, but I shoot cast in .35 Rem...

I use truncated cone 158gr 'pistol' bullets from Penn at .360"...

No leading as fast as I have pushed them...

·
Registered
48 Posts
cast and powder coat with gas checks?

I was very encouraged when I saw this thread. I am getting ready to order some 200 gr cast from a fella named Ed at Maplewood Bullets. I saw him advertise on GunBroker and from all the feedback it looks like he does good work. I used to work with powder coating at an R&D facility but I never would have considered it as a quasi-substitute for cast bullets. Never. But, as the world turns I consistently find that there are people who don't know what they can't do, powder coating bullets is very interesting. Having molds made without grooves for powder coatin sounds like a good idea, but what about sizing? How many mils of coating can you have before there is an effect - positive or negative? What are you doing with gas checks? What are you sizing to after casting before coating? How about some data on velocity and accuracy with these things? I think this is a great project and would love to participate (after hunting season). Bullet/data sharing, recipe swaps, all of it. Rock on! Maybe form a team "coated cast boolits" :beer:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts