Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have Any Experience Casting for a .223.
Just bought a Lee 55gr RNFP Mold for my Single Shot Mossberg SSi-1.
I Cast 4 All my Other Guns Ranging from 9mm to 444.
I have Linotype Bars, Wheel Wt Ingots & Pure Lead On Hand.
From my Experience a 50/50 Alloy of WW & Lino Works Best in My Guns.
Any Advice on Alloy or Casting Tips Will Be Greatly Appreciated.
I Tumble Lube All but the 9mm.
Thanx,
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
910 Posts
uncle
i cast for a 22 hornet a 55 grain fn and have had great luck with it at up to 2400 fps, have not tried any faster than that. i have shot some in my 222 and 223 but not very fast.
as for casting tips i can say use a preheated mold, you will never get it up to temp by casting, go fast and pour a large sprue puddle.
the first ones i did were pure lynotype, i am now using my standard alloy water dropped for a bhn of 18 to 22.
my hornet is a slow twist t/c carbine and loves this bullet, i even shoot some at 22 lr velocities with out the gas checks. i hate gas checks but sometimes they just cant be avoided

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx 4 the Info Green Lizard.
Was thinkin' that I'd Stick to My Standard 50/50 Mix & LLA.
I've Had Real Good Luck w/ it in my Other Guns.
What Kind of Powder R U Using?
Suitable Powders I have on Hand are H-4198, Bl-C2 & Trail Boss.
Was thinkin of the Trail Boss 4 the Cast Loads (1000-1200fps) for Squirrels, etc.
Maybe the Bl-C2 for up to 2400fps & Save the 4198 for Jacketed @ 3000fps+
UncleSarge58

Reactions: Green Lizzard

·
Registered
910 Posts
uncle
the powder i like for the hornet aa1680, for the 222 and 223 i like blc2, for the light loads i was using red dot and now clays, the little buggers are a pain to lube and gas check in the manner i favor but i do love it

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I'm running tests now on a 55 grain cast using 2400 and IMR4227 with great results so far but my casts aren't from a lee mold.

When did Lee start making 22 caliber molds?

·
Registered
910 Posts
gohon
i think it was a custom group buy called a bator or something started over on catsboolits

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That's Exactly the Mold I got: Bator .22LR 55gr RNFP.
Bought it to Load the .223 Down to .22LR Levels. (Since I Can't Find .22LR)
Gonna Cast'em, Tumble Lube'em, & Size'em to .224. No Gas Check.
Looks Like 3-4gr Trail Boss will Do the Trick (978-1074fps)
UncleSarge58

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the Rifle I'm gonna Shoot'em with:

DSCN0597.JPG

It's a Mossberg SSi-1 .223 Single Shot w/ 24in Varmint Barrel.
That's the Old Scope that came with it.
I have a New Weaver Kaspa 3-12 X 50 on it Now.
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
That make sense......I also thought maybe it was the RD mold that Lee made for Ranch Dog which I also have. I just started testing this week the Lyman 2660415 55 grain bullet in the 223. Cast of wheel weights and then oven heat treated to 17-18 BHN then lubed by dipping in Lee Liquid Alox. I loaded up 8 rounds each using 11 grains of 2400, 14 grains of IMR4227, and 9 grains of Unique. Just to see if they would hit paper I set the targets up at 35 yards. At that distance the Unique loads were a a little over a inch but the 4227 and 2400 grouped at .225 and .287 respectfully. Certainly looks promising so today I'll run the remaining loads through the chrony to see what they actually clock, then move to 50 yards and then out to 100 yards. The book information shows I should be getting a little over 2300 fps with these loads.

I've played around with the Hornet using the Ranch Dog bullets and the Lyman 2660430 bullets and came up with some pretty good squirrel loads but this is the firat for me with casts in the 223 Remington.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Good Info. The 4227 & 2400 Powders Look Real Promising. Great Groups & Good Velocity. I Like it!
Keep us Informed on How it goes.
I'm gonna Load up some Dogtown 55gr JHP from Midway in Brand New Hornady Brass Tonight.
Gonna Start w/ 10rds of 19.5gr H-4198, 10rds @ 20g, 10 @ 20.5gr. & 10 @ 21gr.
This Oughta Get me On Paper at the Range & give me an Idea of How it Shoots.
This Weekend I'll Cast up some Boolits 4 it w/ my 50/50 Mix.
Then I'll Start on some Cast Loads w/ Trail Boss.
Good Luck & Good Shootin'
US58

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Ran the 2400 and IMR4227 loads through the chrony today. Clocked 2275 fps for the 2400 load and 2269 for the IMR4227 load. About 100 fps short of what the book said they would be. Now if I can just work these up to the 2500 fps range with the same accuracy I think I've found my cast loads for the 223 Rem.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Excellent Results none the less! :beerglass:
Now it's just a question of Which is More Accurate, Burns Cleaner & Uses Less Powder.
Are you using Gas Checks & What are you Sizing them to?
US58

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
how hard is it to cast those tiny little boolits? I may get a mold to cast for the 222 I have just in case I ever run out of 22lr at least I will have something to hunt varmits with.

Doc

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I really don't find casting the 22's any more difficult than larger casts. After awhile though I start to get tired and arm heavy but the pile of casts looks so small I keep going. When that happens I discover instead of a couple hundred casts such as a pile of 45 caliber at which point I would have stopped, I've actually cast 4-500 of the little 22's. Then the long drawn out process of installing gas checks and dip lubing then begins. Now that becomes tiresome and time consuming.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
well maybe I will have to give it a try...

Doc

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Doc,
That's Exactly Why I Traded my Lil' Slug Gun for the .223.
That & the Brass Is Readily Available & Fairly Cheap (For Now)
Figured that I Need a Replacement for my .22LR & .22WMR Rifles.
Especially since Ammo for them has become Practically Non-Existant.
Plus it gives me a Rifle w/ a Lot more Range.
Let the Learning Begin.
Keep the Info Coming Guys.
UncleSarge58

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
i'm continually torn about whether to cast for my Hornet or not. I've got a healthy supply of bullets, and have never sweated paying for them. Casting can be a chore for me time wise, and certainly the gas checks are an issue. I like casting and the challenges associated, but these smaller calibers seem to me the ultimate chore. Power to you and your endeavors. I may be following you soon if we don't get some 22 LR offered locally soon!

·
Registered
767 Posts
i'm continually torn about whether to cast for my Hornet or not. I've got a healthy supply of bullets, and have never sweated paying for them. Casting can be a chore for me time wise, and certainly the gas checks are an issue. I like casting and the challenges associated, but these smaller calibers seem to me the ultimate chore. Power to you and your endeavors. I may be following you soon if we don't get some 22 LR offered locally soon!
I cast the lyman 225438 45 grain bullet and the Lee bator that drops for me at about 48 grains. I load them in the hornet with about 10 grains of 1680. in the 222 I load them with 13 grains of rl 7

·
Registered
910 Posts
tj
have you tried pistol and rifle primers in your hornet? mine showed a definite preference for the pistol primers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts