Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Has anyone used Red Dot for reduced cast bullet loads in their 30-30's? I've been shooting 9 grains of Unique with good results but I have a pound of Red Dot and was wondering what load would be comparable. I've shot 13 grains of Red Dot in 30.06 and .303 Brits, but not in the 30-30. I'm shooting a gas checked 180 grain bullet. Any help is appreciated.

Regards, Augustus

PS..It's nice to have a Marlin board again!!

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
Hot for a lever frame/receiver.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
This is a book load I have not shot it.

From RCBS cast bullet load data: 180Gr bullet type 30-180-sp, cci200 primer, Reddot 8.0 - 1141, 8.5 - 1281

Bullet type 30-180-fn cci200 primer 8.0 -1295, 9.0 1383

test rifle win 94 barrel length 20" Twist rate 12

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wizard, do you mean the 13 grains is too hot? I thought so also. The book load of 8 grains that Sure-Shot gave sounds just right. I just don't have any book references to go by at my disposal.

Thanks, Augustus

·
Registered
154 Posts
Augustus McRae -

In direct answer to your question: RedDot is somewhat faster than Unique, ie, something like 8-8.2gr of RedDot will equal your 9gr Unique load in the 30-30. If you take a look at the cast bullet data on our website [url below, look under levergun data/studies] we have data for the 30-30 3030ai and 32ws each with RedDot and Unique, so you can compare the actual PW vs V graphs. But having said that, I would echo the comment above that for the size loads you're talking about, you're getting the pressure up there. Generally RedDot and Unique loads in a 3030 size case will run in the 6-8gr range; and if you want more velocity, then people tend to move to slower (not hugely) powders, eg, vvn340, hs6 etc. [also of note: both RedDot and Unique are temperature sensitive, ie, a load that shot at 1300fps in january, might shoot at 1450 in july, or said differently, the same load in january which might be at a safe pressure, in july may be over the top. The other comment I would offer is that there appears to be quite a bit of variance btwn batches of both powders, ie, we've seen batches where RedDot = Unique and others where there's a 15% difference btwn the two, ie, keep your eyes open for pressure signs etc.]

hope that helps, and do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gmushial,

I checked out your website yesterday after I had posted here and found a lot of good information. I'll back those loads off a bit. I'm not after high velocity, just an accurate offhand practice load. I appreciate your input!

Regards, Augustus

·
Registered
664 Posts
I too have used 6.0gr of RedDot, with my very first loads cast from my first moulds back in 1975. Accuracy was accpetable, cost low ect.

However, I prefer Unique for plinking loads, H2400 for mid level accuracy loads, and Imr3031 for hunting loads.

I used 30.0gr of IMR-3031 with 160gr FNGC (advertised at 150gr by Lee, but casts 157gr from present mould, weighs 160gr from original mould mentioned above but given to my older brother who uses it too).

Killed doe at 90yds DRT with a high lung shot.

I've also used H4895 @ 31.0gr. Both give about 2,100fps.
I prefer the IMR-3031 though.
( .309"-.311"/30gr!, -sounds familar, huh?)

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I've used both Red Dot and Unique in many of my old guns for reduced plinking loads. I load my .45-70, .38-55, .32-40, 8.15x46R, .30-30, and many others with these two powders. I also have a preference for Unique, but I've had good accuracy with both powders.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Goose Gestapo & Marlinman, would you mind sharing your Unique and Red dot loads? The accuracy I'm getting is decent, I can get 100% hits on an 8" dinger at 100 yards off a rest and I mainly use the load for offhand practice, my hit percentage drops a little then :?

Regards, Augustus

·
Registered
6 Posts
yes i have used 13 grs of red dot its a common load in the day the called it THE LOAD using it for what some call a starting point it can be used with any gun with moderate bullet weights works great in 308's usinf 168gr serria hpbt match

·
Super Moderator
6,348 Posts
bucky4570 said:
yes i have used 13 grs of red dot its a common load in the day the called it THE LOAD using it for what some call a starting point it can be used with any gun with moderate bullet weights works great in 308's usinf 168gr serria hpbt match
In a 308 - OK.

In a 30-06 - OK.

Not in a 30-30, PLEASE!! I'd rather not have to pray for your family after your demise...

Jeff
NRA Life

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
I've used 7 gr of Bullseye under a 170 gr cast for decades. Excellent accuracy, no pressure signs.

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
The 13 grain Red Dot charge is only for cases with a larger capacity than the .35 Remington. The .30-30 is too small to qualify.

By the way, for Trapdoor .45-70 loads, C.E. Harris, who wrote of The Load, recommends reducing it to 12 grains. Just a point of information.

Reactions: me
1 - 13 of 13 Posts