Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How important is case-trimming with the 444? I have a huge batch of once-fired brass, mostly Remington (some Hornady) polished and I'm itching to get started. I have only reloaded pistol cartridges for the past 8 years and never gave much thought to case trimming.

What is a good case trimmer for this job? I don't mind spending a few dollars for a good trimmer, but I don't want to break the bank, either.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
meh92 if you are going to trim a bunch someone told me you can remove the handle on the trimmer and attach an electric screw driver so you don't have to do all the twisting. Haven't tried it yet but I plan on doing so when I have a batch that need trimming.

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
I have a Hornady trimmer, the only thing I absolutely detest about it is the crank handle knob. It is very small and blisters up my fingers in pretty short order. The RCBS mentioned above has a bigger knob and sure looks more manageable.

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
...now that I think about it, the Hornady has the provision to hook up a drill or screwdriver to it, also. It seems like I had tried it once but it was not very sucessful. That would have been with my old 1/2 hp Craftsman drill, not very handy.

I like Sure-Shot's idea to hook a power screwdriver to it, it would be more manageable (because you have to slide the crank part into the case mouth and back out when you are done) and would certainly have enough power.

Wow! Makes me want to run out and start trimming .348 cases again...!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Really want a classy case trimmer? Perhaps you would like one that gives you dead-square case mouths and cases all inside a thousandth of one another, every time. Square case mouths give good crimps and that helps accuracy.

Get a Wilson (L.E. Wilson) case trimmer and use it for the rest of your life. You can order it from Lock, Stock, and Barrel or Sinclair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts