Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty much set up for reloading for my 35 rem. I have Lee 3 die set and ordering a Lymen neck expanding die. Because I feel I need a little bit of a bell to get the bullet started.
I have a Forester case trimmer that works very good for my 45-70 case but I'm wondering if a rcbs trim die be more exact and quicker? I have 320 cases I'm getting ready to prep.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
One thing I can say is that the trim die will use the same shellholder as the rest of your dies. If the forster is like the lee, you'll need a different one.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've used it on some practice runs and works OK once you have the case in straight. Was just wondering if the trim die would work better.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
In my experience, a trim die is for heavy cutting, when forming one cartridge from another and having to cut the brass in the process (sometimes more than once). The top of the trim die is hardened so that you can use it to guide the edge of a hacksaw and file... and the process it is easy to damage the saw blade or file. I think of trim dies as roughing tools, not precise tools, and therefore always use a case trimmer when trimming to final length when case forming.

Once you get into a rhythm when case trimming, it's fairly easy to pop through 100 or so in an hour. Unless you are in a huge rush to prep all your cases at once, space it out over a couple of days.

Reactions: XMAN

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks DrMike. I'm never in a hurry when at my bench. It's a relaxing thing for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts