Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Case Preparation "Centers"

Anybody have one of these?

After trimming to length, then chamfering and deburring 500 .25-20 cases today, I now feel these are well worth the asking price...if they work.

I looked at customer reviews on MidwayUSA for the Lyman and the RCBS units, which are presently priced only $10 apart. Both have about the same ratio of good-bad reviews but the RCBS has like 80+ and the Lyman has 4.

I didn't think I'd be getting all bunches of new brass that needed treatment to justify the price but, then again, I didn't think I'd have a gaggle of Marlins either. ;D

While we're on the subject of more expensive accessories, it will probably be worth it to buy one of the miniature lathe type case trimmers too. Has to be better than the Lee handheld setup I'm using now.

Thanks!

Jon

·
Registered
147 Posts
Re: Case Preparation "Centers"

I have the RCBS model. I modified it a little and added a Lee case trimmer to one of the stations. I cut one hole out of a plastic shell tray and drilled a hole in the center of it. I then put a machine screw through it to fit into the spindle, and glued a Lee trimmer into the hole in the shell tray. Not perfect, but much easier than drilling and tapping the trimmer.
I have used it a bunch of times like this and it really makes things easier.
Here is alink to one a guy drilled and tapped. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlLp1s0dJRA
I saw another where a guy used a socket and drilled holes in the sides and used allen screws to hold the trimmer in. That way he could replace it if needed without drilling and tapping another one.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts

Lathe type trimmers, I have one gathering dust, I do use it every so often for some odd cal I don't have a Lee trimmer for. I also use it for the outside neck trimmer assessory.

Lee trimmers chucked in a power drill do a very good and consistant job, no need to reset for length and hope you got it perfect like the lathe types. I have a Lee mandrel for each cal I shoot and they have been shortened slightly to allow even new brass to all be trimmed the same lenght. Necessary for good accurate crimping for leverguns tube magazines.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

35remington said:
Pf, how does that 25-20 shoot? I just came in to 500 cases myself.
I'll have to let you know in a week or so!

Bought 100 of the Speer 75gr SPFN and 100 of the Hornady 60gr FP bullets. Called a local dealer of the Bear Creek cast boolits. They were going on vacation but said they could call this week, to see if they had their .25-20 boolit in stock. $29.95 for 500, a pretty good price.

I'm kinda looking at this .25-20 as a cross between the .22 Magnum and a .223...should be fun!

Jon

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts

VTDW has one & posted a short vid clip someplace in here on it but I'll be damned if I can find it.

·
Registered
173 Posts

"While we're on the subject of more expensive accessories, it will probably be worth it to buy one of the miniature lathe type case trimmers too. Has to be better than the Lee handheld setup I'm using now."

Well, we need to buy our tools based on the quantiy we expect to deal with, the Lee case tools work fine but they were never expected to be used on hundreds of cases at a time. Since most case work is a 'one time' thing and I no longer do much of that, an electrically powered case prep center is far too costly to have a place on my bench but I can understand competition shooters buying one.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quite correct, Fuzzball!

I use the Lee accessories in my Metallic Reloading classes. Gives students an idea of what they need to do, not too hard for 5 or 6 cases of .30-30 that I have them each reload.

Lots of good feedback!

Jon

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts

I've had the RCBS model for a few months now, and it's been great! Less wear and tear on my fingers, hands and wrists. I just finished posting about this very thing on another thread a few minutes ago.......

Re: What Step In Reloading Do You Dilslike The Most, If Any?
« Reply #44 on: Today at 06:01:49 PM » Quote Modify
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Case prep.... trimming and deburring to be exact.

Carple tunnel is creeping up on me, so I bought one of the RCBS case prep machines.http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=565099 It's much easier on the hands and wrists now!! I ended up convincing Mrs Tedak that it should be a health care expense and not come out of my shooting budget and she let me slide on that one!

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Well, I ordered the Lyman from MidwayUSA.

Hasn't shipped yet but you'll get a full report when it gets here!

Jon

·
Registered
424 Posts

I don't mean to dissuade you from getting a new tool, but have you considered the
Lee Zip-trim? It's only $25 (in Canada, I'm sure you can find it cheaper) and it works very quickly. With the ball cutter it should be comfortable enough even for 500 cases.
Zip-Trim: http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Zip-Trim.html
Ball Cutter: http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Cutter-with-Ball-Grip.html
Personally, I don't mind pulling on the "starter cord" and spending the $300 difference on components.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thanks, Rory!

I have looked at the Zip-trim...decided to go fully mechanized. The Lyman is currently on sale for $105 at MidwayUSA. Not too bad for 4 times more.

I have one of the Lee chamfer/deburring tools. I can't stand it. Replaced it with one of the Lyman manual models. Much easier to hold onto.

Another reason I want the fully mechanized set-up...the RRA LAR-8 we just got. That's a gonna be a one spicy trimming session!

Jon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts