Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Yes. On cpl of Savage 99s and a brand new Uberti cap and ball revolver... no issues...

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
After many years of study and observation, actual authentic case color is not quite as bullet proof as I used to believe but far as I know, it will certainly stand up to most oils or even Hoppes number 9.

But I have to wonder about the long term effects of some of the very common copper solvents like Sweets, or Patch out etc. Sweets at one time for example and perhaps still, would actually etch the steel in bores if left to soak. The damage was near microscopic, but it was bad enough to cause increased copper and powder fouling in bench rest guns.

I have seen enough old shotguns, Parkers L Cs etc, with the bottom of the receiver totally silver from sweat, and I presume an era of men when they were men, and perhaps dirt filled calloused hands. Some folks have sweat that will rust any finish over night, others can handle a gun bare handed with no damage.

Case color again, is not bullet proof.:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweets has ammonia in it. I could imagine that being pretty rough.

The EEZOX MSDS lists these ingredients: Trichloroethylene, Synthetic Esters, Oxygenated.
Carl

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
So you are telling us that its probably illegal in CA? :biggrin:
I confess to having never heard of it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.