Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here measured case capacity differences of the 444 brass, I'm using Hornady. I had 60 rounds of it from Superformance ammo. I was just curious how big of a difference between brands there is, some cartridges vary a lot, some not so much.

·
Premium Member
4,923 Posts
Not specifically capacity, but I have weighted new loads with carefully measured powder charges and the same 265 Hornady FP bullet and come up 3-4 grains different in weight. Some of the variance is in the bullet itself I'm sure, but I'd guess that most of it has to do with wall thickness of the various cases I was filling.

Reactions: sixgunner357

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
All I own are the real deal 444 cases, which are all Remington! So case capacity in a non-issue for me.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
All I own are the real deal 444 cases, which are all Remington! So case capacity in a non-issue for me.
And I'm the opposite:
All I use for proper loads is (full length) Hornady brass.
The R-P-stamped trash they pass off as cartridge cases only gets used for shotshell loads.

I've never checked either for capacity. And, right now, all of my R-P cases are stuffed with shot.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Excellent question sixgunner357. I was asking about that a while ago, before I found a bunch of Remmy cases. When I get around to weighing water capacity of Remmy vs. Hornady I will post it on here. I remember someone a while ago saying his warm loads in Hornady cases (these were full length hornadys not gumby tips) was showing signs of overpressure. So proceed with caution.

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
Never had a problem with R-P brass, it's been working fantastic over 30 years in the 444!

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Like Starrbow, I swear by Remington cases! I used the Rems when developing the SG 444, and they held up to the strain of testing, I fired those cases (one lot) over 44 times (and many of those loads were way above the "book loads" for the Safari Grade 444 modification)...lost count....until they were so brittle that I could hardly resize them! I annealed those same cases and use them to this day, and there have been no loose primer pockets, no case neck splits, no head separations...no nothin'!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.