Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went last Saturday to the opening concert of the Casals Festival, in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I have tickets for tomorrow's performance also. Anybody here enjoy this type of thing? Anybody here know what I'm talking about? I like to think I'm a well-rounded (no snide remarks about weight) individual with widely differing interests and skills. While these matters are not proper in the firearms forums, I figured in Ask Anna it would be OK. How about it guys and gals? Any activities enjoyed other than the usual troglodite sub-human activities attributed to us shooters/hunters by the liberal media? :roll:

Luis

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
luisyamaha said:
Went last Saturday to the opening concert of the Casals Festival, in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I have tickets for tomorrow's performance also. Anybody here enjoy this type of thing? Anybody here know what I'm talking about? I like to think I'm a well-rounded (no snide remarks about weight) individual with widely differing interests and skills. While these matters are not proper in the firearms forums, I figured in Ask Anna it would be OK. How about it guys and gals? Any activities enjoyed other than the usual troglodite sub-human activities attributed to us shooters/hunters by the liberal media? :roll:

Luis
That would be Pablo....maybe one of the finest musicians ever on one of my favorite instruments. Not too many people know that a cello is nothing but a strange, wooden tuba held between the knees :p

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Maryam D'Abo was one of the finest looking Cello players I ever saw.. :D.. (The Living Daylights, 007)

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Gunjunkie said:
Maryam D'Abo was one of the finest looking Cello players I ever saw.. :D.. (The Living Daylights, 007)
Oh, YEAH! **Emoticon For Drooling Uncontrolably**

·
Registered
670 Posts
Luis,
I'm not familiar with the Casals Festival, but I think it's great that you're trying to improve upon your 'troglodite' existence. :lol: Is it basically where locals perform mostly Latino/salsa type music or does it cover a broader field of music and bring in well-known performers? I, for the most part enjoy all types of music. Along with guns & shooting, I also enjoy fishing, camping, cooking, crossword/word puzzles, reading, arts
'n crafts and watching most sports- from amateurs to pros-children to adults. Add in my criminology/law work and I'd say I am pretty diversified. 8)
I do know that some other members here enjoy singing, playing instruments, riding the big bikes, gardening, photography, performing in plays, extreme sports and cooking. The professions here are just as varied, so I'd say we're a bunch of 'cultured troglodites'. :) :wink:

Anna

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
RomanCandle said:
The proper name for the 'cello is the violoncello, 'cello being a mere abbreviation...
Bravo! :) Not many know that, RC.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Luis-I guess I must be different. I am a ******* Troglodite. I only like 2 kinds of music-COUNTRY and WESTERN. :shock: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Whats a "trogladite"?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Looks like a cross between a Caveman and a Bigfoot. Ugly things with the disposition of a souped up wildcat. Kinda looks like Tubby when he gets out of bed in the morning. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Where are they located? :twisted: Is there a season & if there is do you have any recipies? Fried trog leggs anyone? :p

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Leverdude, "trogladite" is the female of the "troglodite". Kinda like a cross between a troll (like in the Lord of the Ring, not some that lurk around here some times) and a caveman. Season for the "Chupacabras" is open.

Anna, Tubby should know, the festival is about Classical and chamber music. Mostly world class players with the PR Symphony orchestra, and it runs about 10 concerts in San Juan plus a few others elsewhere on the island plus one or two in St. Thomas, USVI. This whole thing was the brainchild of Mr. Pablo Casals (self-exiled from the Franco regime in Puerto Rico) 30 or 40 years ago. Casals is considered one of the best, if not the best ever, cello player. Anyhow, his high standing in the music world allowed him to convince all these world class musicians to come to Puerto Rico and play in his music festival. He died about 20 years ago, but the tradition, and the festival continues. Audiences and the weather in PR are great incentives.

I shoot, ride motorcycles, like opera, listen to classical music, take mechanical watches apart for fun (sometimes I even put them back together) sail, do woodwork, beat all my friends at "Jeopardy!", and roll in the grass with my dogs for the fun of it. Just wondered what others in this forum did in addition to shooting related things.

Luis

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Nightrain52 said:
Looks like a cross between a Caveman and a Bigfoot. Ugly things with the disposition of a souped up wildcat. Kinda looks like Tubby when he gets out of bed in the morning. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm gonna be alright with that until someone asks how you know :shock:

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BTW, I like that genre of Country-Western I believe is called "bluegrass" better than any salsa or merengue music.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I like lemon merengue pie but couldnt fathom putting salsa on it. :lol:

Heck I like alot of things but most have to do with outdoors.
I like to shoot my guns & bows, camping & hiking, fishing & canoeing, hunting & swimming,
I'll roll in the grass with the dog & kids. I read alot of different things from books to magazines.
I like my work quite a bit as well & make alot of different things just to see if I can & create alot of gifts from copper.
I like sitting with my boys & watching a sunset or moonrise.
I like riding my bicycle & sailing around my little chunk of Long Island sound.
Music, I'm partial to late 60's & early 70's rock & also some blues.
I like building things & fixing things.
Guess I like life in general. :wink:

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
tubbythetuba said:
Nightrain52 said:
I'm gonna be alright with that until someone asks how you know :shock:
I have been told I resemble that remark too Tubby .. :D

But I damn sure have been called worse..

·
Registered
543 Posts
RomanCandle wrote:
The proper name for the 'cello is the violoncello, 'cello being a mere abbreviation...

Bravo! Smile Not many know that, RC.
Thanks, Tubby :) I also know why and how the name "sousaphone" came into existence, and I'll bet you do, too:)

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Wasn't it something about a fellow named John Philip Sousa?

·
Registered
670 Posts
:shock: I want to know how does Nightrain know what Tubby looks
like in the mornings when he wakes up? Anyone know??

Also, wasn't there a pop/rock band in the mid-late 60's/early 70's
called the 'Trogs'? I think they were the original performers of the
hit song 'Wild Thing', performed later by Tone`Loc. Now I'm telling
my age! :lol: :wink:

Braveheart

·
Registered
729 Posts
Braveheart-I am just going by what other people have told me. :shock: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts