Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I've been looking for a rifle I can use to start CAS. I looked at the Winchester clones from Rossi and Beretta/Uberti, but I prefer the design of the 1894 - it seems more rugged. I have been bouncing between a 44 and the 357. The 44 because I already have a Ruger S-Blackhawk Hunter in 44M. (Don't know if it can be used in CAS or not.) The 357 because 38S/357 ammo is cheaper.

Unfortunately a new 1894 in 357 seems hard to come by. I've also seen some negative press on the 1894 in 357 having feed issues. Apparently it is picky on what it likes to eat. Nothing bad on the 44. From what I've read on the SASS site, both are acceptable although the 357 and 45LC is more propular.

If I go with the 44, is the any CAS issue with the 1894SS? I like stainless due to the durabilty; I have two 1895's in stainless and love them. On the other hand, I do like the Cowboy with her octi-barrel. Bottom line is, is the 44 OK and does stainless matter.

Thanks as always.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there okc-jimbo -- There would be absolutely no issues shooting a stainless rifle or pistol with SASS. Being a single action, the Blackhawk Hunter would be OK as well. I would offer a suggestion... Barrel lengths of 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 would be more practical. There is a lot of drawing and holstering in the game and longer barrels present their own challenges to do so safely. The issues I've seen most often with the 38/357 rifles has been feeding them the shorter 38 Special cases, usually in a hurry. If you attend a few matches before buying any equipment, and ask around about firearms folks may have for sale, you may find just what you're looking for. Often you'll be able to try it out before purchasing it as well. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Wind. You've been a big help on my recent posts. Good point on the barrel length, but now i'll have to buy another revolver ;D!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
been shooting a 44 mag version 2 years now, the good news is there is only 1 other guy--- my friend who rides with me, who also shoots 44 mag. We get our brass back after the shoot because nobody else wants it.
the bad---- cowboys are hard to find, everyone likes them. Nothing wrong with stainless if you like it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I agree with the .44 mag. I get almost all my brass back. Once I got my brass built up, I've been rolling for going on 3 years now. Deb and I are the only two I am aware of that shoot .44 mags at our club. An loaded down for cowboy shooting the brass seems to just go on and on and on. We have 4 Marlin .44's but Deb shoots an older model 1894 because its lighter. I shoot the cb's.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I shoot with a man who uses .44 Special in his 1894 Cowboy. He gets his brass back......

·
Registered
701 Posts
Cowboy shooters have gone to the 38/357 for multiple reasons...cheaper ammo, cheaper brass, less recoil...better chance of winning. I bought several Original Size VAQUEROS in 357 so I could compete on a level playing field if I got interested. John Taffin said something to the effect that "a 357 lever gun is the third most useful firearm you can own; first and second are a 22 Long Rifle pistol and lever gun."

I prefer 44s and shoot them about 75-to-90% of the time...also Original Size VAQUEROS and 1894 Cowboy rifles. It probably isn't realistic for competing, but in "the spirit of the game" I use my everyday utility loads in my guns....something comfortable to shoot, but powerful enough for most things I might encounter. A blue round barrel 44 magnum is one of the most easily found rifles in pistol calibers....they made a bunch of them over the past four decades.

A smaller less purist local club probably wouldn't have a problem with a SUPER BLACK HAWK HUNTER, but others might. You will need TWO revolvers although you will get swamped with offers of a loaner if your need for one is known. I went to one shoot to just look around and was offered the use of a complete set of guns, leather and ammo from several people....they were almost offended that I didn't take them up on it!

A brief answer on caliber is either one. Get pistols to match and a reloading outfit if you don't have one already. Boolit casting will knock your costs even lower, but does take up valuable time....seems like everything boils down to time versus money. I don't shoot enough shotgun to consider reloading them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts