Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Mornng,

Yes, I'm a newguy to the forum. Not new to Marlin though. But I guess like all new members I have to start out with a function question...

Mod. is a 2009 1895G with no changes other than a scope. I handload mostly cast bullets, but sometimes Remington 300 JHP. Now to the newguy question I have:

With the JHP loads (crimped and loaded with RCBS dies) often the cartridge will get bent when going from the carrier to the chamber. Kinda like it gets hung up when it starts toward the chamber and gets bent. This may not be the most technical way of saying how this is happening, but I hope someone has some help for me. This will happen when the cartridge pops into the receiver from the magazine on it's way to going up. All the screws are tight. I keep the weapon real clean. And I tumble the brass everytime before I load it. I don't tilt the gun or try to chamber the round real fast or anything like that. I try to go slow and smooth, but the thing gets bent and hung up halfway into the chamber.

I retired from the flooring industry and am what you call a hobby/sport shooter. I mostly have been involved with black powder guns and modern revolvers. I say Marlins are not new to me, as I had a .357 Marlin and a 336 model in the past. This is the first bigbore for me and I'm still getting used to it I guess.....

Any help will be most apperciated.

Dennis

P.S. You guys have a really nice forum here! :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
I thought you were talking about them getting bent during reloading. I don't have a clue why they're bending on the carrier, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along shortly.

Meanwhile, welcome to M.O. from Granite Shoals, TX!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
w5cds,

Thanks for the welcome. Sounds like you're a ham operator with that name.

I found the gunsmithing part of the forum (I didn't think to look further after I found this one on .45-70) and read the sticky on the extractor being too tight and all. I'll have to watch real close when I feed a round if this is what's happening. Funny thing is that it only does it with the JHP loads and not my cast loads. It can't be that the round is too long as it is crimped in the crimping groove of the bullet and it under the published spec's for overall length. I'm a bit stumped with this. I've been shooting this GG for over a year now and really like it. Hope I can find out why the JHP's are hanging up....

Dennis

·
Registered
277 Posts
When you say "bending" are you saying the actual cast is being bent or is the bullet just being offset because it is catching on something? Check you overall length on the round; I have reloaded 325 and 405 gr Beartooth bullets in my 1895 CB and never had one hang up on me. My .444 on the other hand had the symptoms of the extractor being too tight, I just applied the steps mentioned by Rowdy and it fixed the problem toot sweet, now the .444 cycles all ammo. Good luck, oh and if it is the extractor being too tight the lip of the casing may catch the edge of the chamber and pucker (lack of a better word) the edge of the casing.

Chief

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guys, yes, the case is bending as the round trys to enter the chamber. Sometimes as much as 30 degree or more! I reviewed the links that Rowdy mentioned. Might be the trick. I have been shooting cast loads for about a year is this gun without a problem, but when I went to the JHP load the trouble started. I was wondering if the bullet shape was effecting the loading? I know that sounds kind of silly though. The overall length is in spec's as stated earlier. This is a puzzler huh?

Most of my time with cartridge weapons have been with SA Colts and Rugers and DA S&W's. Loaded a bunch of ammo in my day, so I don't think I've messed up on loading this one. But I will try that adjustment with the extractor and see if it clears up this problem.

Thank you for your help, and thanks for the warm welcome too.

Dennis

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PROBLEM RESOLVED!!!

Rowdy and company, you guys rock!!
Broke out the tools and my super-close up glasses and carefully bent the extractor as advised. I was a might skiddish as I was afraid I might go too far, but it did the trick! Now this weapon cycles rounds better than ever before! Amazing.....SUPPER SMOOTH!! ;D

I found that the reason the JHP's were bending so easily was that they far shorter (the bullet that is) and allowed the case to flex more than with the longer cast bullets that were deeper in the case and made it stiffer.

Thank you again for your help. I'm glad that I joined a forum with such frendly and helpful folks...
Now I'm off to my range to go shoot before it gets too hot!

Thanks again,

Dennis

·
Registered
879 Posts
Could you shoot around corners with those? ;D

·
Registered
605 Posts
Broken Arrow said:
PROBLEM RESOLVED!!!

Rowdy and company, you guys rock!!
Broke out the tools and my super-close up glasses and carefully bent the extractor as advised. I was a might skiddish as I was afraid I might go too far, but it did the trick! Now this weapon cycles rounds better than ever before! Amazing.....SUPPER SMOOTH!! ;D

I found that the reason the JHP's were bending so easily was that they far shorter (the bullet that is) and allowed the case to flex more than with the longer cast bullets that were deeper in the case and made it stiffer.

Thank you again for your help. I'm glad that I joined a forum with such frendly and helpful folks...
Now I'm off to my range to go shoot before it gets too hot!

Thanks again,

Dennis
Good to hear that this worked for you. I've had to do this fix on two Marlins. I opted to carefully file the extractor rather than bend it, but it was like night and day for feeding.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Glad you got the problem resolved. Otherwise, you would have to change your screen name to "Broken Bullet". ;D

Welcome to the forum buddy, glad to have you here.

Are you a ham operator?

JD338

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the welcom to the others that came to my aid.
Like the part about "Broken Bullet" ! :D
Ham operator, no, but I was raised in the ham community in the early 60's. My dad was into it bigtime. He ran 2 meter and 6 meter rigs all the time. Have some great memories from those days and all his ham buddies. I was going for my license but joined the army and after I got back things changed that I was not able to get into the radio fun. Spent the rest of my time on my hands and knees installing carpet and vinyl flooring. Got to sell it later, but the knees were shot by then :(

But now I sure am enjoying this 45-70 cannon! My son shoots a 308 Savage 99 and he's always trying to get my Marlin away from me. He tried to trade his Savage, but I said nope, I like my Marlin. He says his gun looks funny next to mine. I agree ;D

I see where alot of guys don't like the new ones made in the Remington factory. Mine is from the old Marlin factory. Guess I did good buying this one huh? Well, I gotta go. 73's to the hams out there.

Dennis

·
Registered
445 Posts
Broken Arrow said:
w5cds,

Thanks for the welcome. Sounds like you're a ham operator with that name.
Sure am. Finally got my Extra Class this spring! If you'd still like to get your ticket, it's not difficult; no more CW requirement. Question pool has become a little tougher, but your local ham club should be able to help you there. Lots of clubs do a "ham slam" class, teaching on Friday night, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning, then testing Sunday afternoon. Very high success rate like that.

btw, glad you got your "bent" problem straightened out. ;D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lever addict,

As the the loading of the cartridge, yes. There was a good neck grip on the bullet. I full length resize, trim, and all. I'm no stranger to reloading as I've cast my own and loaded for years in most pistol cartridges. The 45-70 feels like a stretched .44Mag. in a way. There was a nice roll crimp in place as well. I can only assume that since the extractor was the problem and not allowing the rim to enter the slot at the boltface, the case was under pressure and it bent at it's weakest point. But that's all history now.

The only mould I have for this round is a Lee 340 gr. and it appears to be doing ok. I was wondering if I could use the conical mould for a Ruger Old Army for a light bullet at short range. As cast it mikes out at .4575". I always measured the chambers of my revolvers to find the best "size to" for them, but I'm a bit lost with the rifle. I forced a soft slug down the bore a few inches and then measured it. Got .4565" at the muzzle and .4575" near the chamber. So I shoot the Lee bullet as cast, around .458" and thus far no leading. I hope I'm going at this in the right direction. I'm ok with BP guns and handguns, but like I said this is something new for me to learn.....

Any help with this weapon would be appreciated to say the least!

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Good to hear ya got it dialed in :)

I believe you are going in the right direction with the cast bullets... I think if we did a poll, most will be shooting a .460" bullet in a Marlin, and some like me will go larger depending on the bullets nose shape.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys,

I went out back to my range this morning and tried out a load with the Remington 300 JHP's and they stunk. I was at 75 yds and had a group that was about 6" across and all over the place. I was getting real upset with that. I can shoot far better with my old S&W M29 4" at that range. Then I swabbed out the bore and loaded up with the cast rounds that had that Trail Boss powder in them. I got few off to the left. Corrected the scope and then got a nice centered group of five with a spread of a little over an inch and a half. Even had two that were touching! That got me to thinking. I had an old Ruger three screw Blackhawk in .357 that could not group worth a hoot with jacketed rounds, but was a real shooter with the Lyman Keith HP cast SWC and a nice dose of 2400 behind it.

Is the Ballard rifling more tuned to cast bullets than with jacketed, or am I all wet thinking this? Believe me, the only other rifle I have is an old .22 pump made sometime in the 30's and it's a mess. The .357 Marlin, and the 336 in 30-30, I had only for a short time. I have little rifle savvy one could say. But I'm trying to learn.

Thanks again guys...

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
One thing that can help cast accuracy is slugging the barrel to see what it's actual diameter is. I have not done it to mine (yet), but I have tried a few bullets that were larger. Oregon Trail sells cast sized at .459, and Beartooth Bullets has them available at .460. The Beartooth are amazing bullets that have to be ordered, but are very accurate in my gun and can penetrate beyond anything I have every tried. My favorite is the PileDriver Jr (425gr) super wide meplat bullet.

My plinkers:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=742390

Beartooth:
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/display.php?catagory=23

·
Registered
879 Posts
Broken Arrow said:
Thanks guys,

I went out back to my range this morning and tried out a load with the Remington 300 JHP's and they stunk. I was at 75 yds and had a group that was about 6" across and all over the place. I was getting real upset with that. I can shoot far better with my old S&W M29 4" at that range. Then I swabbed out the bore and loaded up with the cast rounds that had that Trail Boss powder in them. I got few off to the left. Corrected the scope and then got a nice centered group of five with a spread of a little over an inch and a half. Even had two that were touching! That got me to thinking. I had an old Ruger three screw Blackhawk in .357 that could not group worth a hoot with jacketed rounds, but was a real shooter with the Lyman Keith HP cast SWC and a nice dose of 2400 behind it.

Is the Ballard rifling more tuned to cast bullets than with jacketed, or am I all wet thinking this? Believe me, the only other rifle I have is an old .22 pump made sometime in the 30's and it's a mess. The .357 Marlin, and the 336 in 30-30, I had only for a short time. I have little rifle savvy one could say. But I'm trying to learn.

Thanks again guys...

Send them to me, my GG loves them!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts