Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a little tip

I bought a laser boresighter for .308 / 243 @ 10$ on ebay. It turns out it fits perfectly in my 444s chamber.
At 10 yards the laser aligns with the vertical part of the crosshair, and it's around 3" under the horizontal.

It might help you save a few bullets sighting in the rifle, but you can also use it for checking if the scope
is correct if the rifle has not been used for a while, and in the last case it's doesn't mather if it's accurate as long
as your remember where it's pointing.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I like using the chamber insert lasers. Waiting until after dark, I can sight in on a telephone pole 100 yards from my shop with the laser and only be off an inch or so when I actually do a live fire check at the club range.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
A chamber located laser might get you on target but will not compensate for any bend or stress in the barrel. You are money ahead to remoove the bolt and boresight through the bore if possible or shoot the gun at very close range (10 yards) first and work your way out. The bullet will go where the end of the barrel is looking and a muzzle boresight will show you that.

·
Registered
402 Posts
In my experience, each time you remove and replace either the spud or laser inserts, things change. Those laser cartridges may seem better but they do not fit the chamber tightly and tend to move around each time placed in and removed.

Obviously any mechanical attempt at simulating where the bore is pointing has some validity to BORE SITE, That most often has little validity to where the actual bullet ends up. The variables to why are multiple and far beyond any simple explanation to the uninformed.

Looking through the bore is good as any and the mechanical bore sighters are helpful with rifles that do not allow looking through the barrel mounted on the receiver. Expecting any more is a waste of effort and money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts