Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is this cartridge clean?? i soaked them in 50/50 water & vinegar, with salt & detergent added for about an hour, agitating every 15-20 min..

let dry overnight, inside still has some water... swapped it out with a tissue and look what remains...

is this case clean enough?

·
Premium Member
11,998 Posts
Are you trying to get the inside of the case completely clean?

If so... Why?

Top level match shooters don't bother cleaning the insides of their cases except that they get some incidental cleaning while running the cases through a vibrating cleaner.

I shoot prone matches and am ranked a "high master" by the NRA. Not that this makes me a shooting guru or anything, but it means I can lay 'em in there pretty darned good in competition. All I do to clean my cases is a quick tumble in the cleaner, then make sure they don't have any tumbler media stuck inside. Those same cases are then reloaded and are plenty good enough to shoot high scores with in competition. Yes, they all have gunpowder residue in them, even after being cleaned. Doesn't seem to affect them at all.

FWIW, Guy

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry, this is my first time reloading... question was "is it clean enough?" and i think you answered my question! thanks!

i will relax and reload!

·
Premium Member
11,998 Posts
Good for you! Reloading, or handloading, is a hoot.

I've been loading my own for decades, but am fairly new to the .45-70. Have only been loading it for a few years.

Yup, your shiney case looks mighty clean to me, and should be fine. Dry is good... :wink: You'll find some very experienced reloaders on the Marlin board.

Regards, Guy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts