Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone.

I apologize for posting this issue up again (still learning the forum and where to post) but I got a serious problem here with my Marlin 336W .30-30.

Have not had the rifle more than 72 hours and already the rifle has suffered a severe malfunction. The Carrier Rocker, Carrier Rocker Rivet, and Carrier Rocker Spring fell out of the rifle while I was cleaning the bore. Picked up the rifle at my local Cabela's on Saturday the 26th. Fired the weapon on Sunday the 27th. During firing there were no issues. Fired 20 rounds. On Monday night I took the rifle out of case to clean and noticed that the lever would only cycle about half way. After fiddling around a bit I was able to work the lever all the way and open the bolt to check chamber and prepare for cleaning. I then attempted to close the chamber and once again I could only rack the lever about half way. I removed the lever screw and lever per the take down instructions in the 336W manual I printed (The rifle had no manual from the store). Removed lever, bolt assembly, and extractor per the manual. This is when I picked up the rifle and turned it right side up to run a bore patch thru barrel when "PLUNK...!" From the bottom of my rifle falls onto the cleaning table the Carrier Rocker along with it's little rivet and spring...!

Correct me if I'm incorrect...but I'm pretty dang sure that internal parts should not be falling out of the 336W...

I have already contacted the store and the rifle has a 10 day return policy. They offered to send for repair, replace, or refund my money. I wanted to post this up because I have no idea how this could have happened. I would think this was part of the reason I was having trouble racking the lever prior to attempting to clean the rifle. Has anyone else with a Marlin 336W had this happen before? Can anyone tell how this could have happened.

Thanks for any information you can send my way...:(:(:(

Mike Skokauckas

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not quite sure to be honest...I took pictures and documented the whole affair in case Cabela's want to play stupid with me...LOL Here is what I got on the barrel. Serial # MR59680B Stamped on LH side of Receiver.
On barrel RH side close to Receiver is the Letters "REP" stamped within an Oval, and the rest of the markings on the rifle state: THE MARLIN FIREARMS CO. NORTH HAVEN CT. MODEL 336W MICRO GROOVE BARREL AND THE PAT. #

I'm not sure what year the rifle was made.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm taking it back to Cabela's today to see what they can do...and honestly I'm quite angry over this! I'm sure any of you would be. You see ever since I was a kid I always wanted a "Cowboy" Rifle. I have always wanted a lever gun. I worked tons of OT to save up for this rifle...and BANG. First one out of the gate takes a dump on me. Out here in Arizona my wife and I do lots of camping and fishing, exploring the desert, old mine camps, stuff like that with our JEEP...and this was going to be our new "Jeep Gun". Up until this I always carried my old but trusty Mosin Nagant M44 Carbine. Built in 1944. I guess this is what I get for trying to upgrade into the "modern era".

I was tempted to have them send it in for repair but...IF it was fixed and IF it was fixed right...I would always hesitate with it. I have heard the horror stories and seen the youtube videos from fellow Marlin owners who try to send their rifles in for repair at the kiddies up at Remington. Not a good out come for the most part.

I'll let you all know how it goes...

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
The only way I can think the carrier rocker and spring came apart is the pin (rivet) is undersized, the pin hole is oversized or the pin was not installed completely... is the pin bent? the pin should be a press fit into the carrier body and should require tap hammer and punch to remove or install...

if if it were a used rifle, I'd say remove the baseplate and check the pin fit... since it is a new rifle... a return seems the best option...

a hearty welcome come to MO... sorry to hear of your troubles with your new rifle... hang out a while... lots of good folks here with a ton of good info on Marlins.. all the best in getting this issue behind you so you can begin to enjoy your rifle...

·
Registered
901 Posts
I'm not quite sure to be honest...I took pictures and documented the whole affair in case Cabela's want to play stupid with me...LOL Here is what I got on the barrel. Serial # MR59680B Stamped on LH side of Receiver.
On barrel RH side close to Receiver is the Letters "REP" stamped within an Oval, and the rest of the markings on the rifle state: THE MARLIN FIREARMS CO. NORTH HAVEN CT. MODEL 336W MICRO GROOVE BARREL AND THE PAT. #

I'm not sure what year the rifle was made.
Skokauchas, sorry you got such a mess of a rifle.
"MR" Serial Number & "REP" means it is an Ilion,NY Remington Made, Assembled, and Proofed Rifle even though they were allowed to Rollstamp "North Haven" on the Barrels until 2012. After that they were "Ilion,NY" Rollstamped on the Barrels.
Good Luck with whatever choice you make on this rifle.
Personally, if it were me, I couldn't distance myself far enough away from that rifle.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Welcome, and sorry for your troubles. As Kon, who is in the best position to know says, you got the worst possible choice in a Marlin you could possibly get. I bought an early 1895 with the North Haven roll mark and REP proof mark that had a horribly canted front sight. Remarlington looked at it and sent it back with a notation of "indexed front sight". I guess the same cock-eyed hackney that assembled it in the first place was the one to check it.

Point is, this probably the worst vintage to have a Marlin fall within. Do NOT settle for a repair, get a full refund and go out and find a nice clean used 336 made by pre-Remington technicians. There s just no way of knowing what other gremlins might pop up in your gun later. If anything, be thankful this happened during the 10 day warranty period or else you'd have been royally screwed. Dump that pig and get a true JM marked rifle and(happily) never look back.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sorry, for your Remlin Gremlins!

·
Premium Member
10,671 Posts
KON,

It sounds to me like Remington is NOT using the Staking Assembly fixture to assemble the Carrier components...........Another cost reduction for Remington.

Skokauckas,

I was the support Mfg Engineer in North Haven for the 336/1894/95 rifle line, until the closing of North Haven. (No, I'm not bitter, I retired with a package!)

Over the last 5 or 6 years, Remington has done everything they can thing of, to reduce the Mfg costs of the Marlin products.....The metal polishing/finishing, the Bluing and the Wood Fit/quality is not what it should be.....Also, the Carriers themselves are NO LONGER Heat treated, which may contribute to the rocker pin falling out.

I would also suggest you "Distance Yourself" from that rifle...........the S/N and Proof show it is truly a Ilion N.Y. rifle, and there are still many real New Haven and North Haven Marlins to be found in the market, particularly in 30-30 chamberings............We made MORE 336/30-30's than any other chambering.

Sorry for your issues with a Marlin product, but then......its NO longer a Marlin Product, is it.........

Tom

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with this rifle. Bring it back and get a refund. Do yourself a favor and purchase a lightly used JM Marlin rifle. I know you will have a much more enjoyable experience.

·
Registered
901 Posts
KON,

It sounds to me like Remington is NOT using the Staking Assembly fixture to assemble the Carrier components...........Another cost reduction for Remington.

Skokauckas,

I was the support Mfg Engineer in North Haven for the 336/1894/95 rifle line, until the closing of North Haven. (No, I'm not bitter, I retired with a package!)

Over the last 5 or 6 years, Remington has done everything they can thing of, to reduce the Mfg costs of the Marlin products.....The metal polishing/finishing, the Bluing and the Wood Fit/quality is not what it should be.....Also, the Carriers themselves are NO LONGER Heat treated, which may contribute to the rocker pin falling out.

I would also suggest you "Distance Yourself" from that rifle...........the S/N and Proof show it is truly a Ilion N.Y. rifle, and there are still many real New Haven and North Haven Marlins to be found in the market, particularly in 30-30 chamberings............We made MORE 336/30-30's than any other chambering.

Sorry for your issues with a Marlin product, but then......its NO longer a Marlin Product, is it.........

Tom
Hey Tom,
It looks like they aren't using the Fixture, or they don't know something is wrong with their Tooling/Set-up.
Either way, there is no oversight of Inspection of any kind apparent here.
Hey, everybody makes mistakes, but that is why there are more than one pair of eyes on the Entire Production Line.
Every Operator is an Inspector of the Parts that arrive at their Station.

The way I have always looked at Assembling/Repairing/Modifying Machinery is a simple question.
Would I want this part/mechanism on my Racecar, Hot Rod, in my House, or in the hands of a Family Member, or Friend ?
If there's any doubt, trash the item.
I'm Hypercritical by nature, and hold myself to a ridiculous standard to insure against mistakes, damage, or failures.
I've often said the line, "That will last longer than I will.", and many times proven the product I got my hands on has outlived it's normal fail cycle.

Remington should be spending their money on a better Inspection Process if they truly want to stay viable in the Firearms Business.
100% Inspection is a Pipe Dream, but they really need to focus on what is going on.
The shear fact that their Customer is putting an Explosive Device next to their HEAD should make it Paramount that things are done PROPERLY.

·
Premium Member
10,671 Posts
Hey Tom,

100% Inspection is a Pipe Dream,
Yes it is, and it's been proven time and time again.................

Good to hear from you......I'm going to try to make the April 20th gathering at J Roo's........But I've got a lot of stuff on my plate that day..........I'll confirm more with Fred as we get closer.

Tom

·
Registered
901 Posts
Cool deal, Tom.
I told Fred I'd be there, but I don't know how many more will show.
Usually 8-10 of us guys from Machine Repair & the Barrel Department are the only ones.
Nothing like the last day at Marlin at the Hard Hat Café back in 2011.

Reactions: Tomray

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the information fellas. Heading to Cabelas tomorrow after work. I'll Keep you updated. Thanks you Tom for the tech information on the markings...now I'll now what to look for...

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Personally, I would spend twice...no, three times more.... for an old beat up JM Marlin with a worn out bore, cracked stock, missing butt plate, lost rear sight, drilled and tapped waffle top, that some bubba duct taped and bailing wired together, before I would buy a new Remlin!!!!! How long have they been doing this and they still cant get it right?!?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I messed with part before placing it in the lunch baggie, does not look bent, looks a little chewed up, and was able to insert it with my fingers. Perhaps it undersized or the carrier is over sized. Not sure. I'm thinking the recoil of the 20 rounds and working the levee must have jarred it loose

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Personally, I would spend twice...no, three times more.... for an old beat up JM Marlin with a worn out bore, cracked stock, missing butt plate, lost rear sight, drilled and tapped waffle top, that some bubba duct taped and bailing wired together, before I would buy a new Remlin!!!!! How long have they been doing this and they still cant get it right?!?!?!?!?!
what he said!:congrats:

·
Registered
901 Posts
This is YEAR 8, that they've been in charge, and YEAR 5 that they've been doing it on their own, Flat Top.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts