Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was excited to see my replacement carrier arrive from brownells today until I went to put it in and it doesn't fit?? The carriers are similar but not the same and the new one won't work. Any suggestions or should I just leave it up to a gun smith to figure out. Obviously I needed the old style not the new style.

Jay

·
Registered
45 Posts
I know this does not help, but I just replaced one in a 75 1894 44 mag with the new style from Brownells and had no issues. Interesting dilemma, hope you find a solution.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I was excited to see my replacement carrier arrive from brownells today until I went to put it in and it doesn't fit?? The carriers are similar but not the same and the new one won't work. Any suggestions or should I just leave it up to a gun smith to figure out. Obviously I needed the old style not the new style.

Jay
There ARE no old-style carriers to be had except from other guns and they'll be worn the same way. Remlington isn't making replacement parts for old-production guns. What doesn't fit? Too long? Too fat? Makes me wonder if you've gotten the right part. I've only had to return a part once in 40 years with Brownell's, so it's a rare thing, but can happen. What I'd do is look up the stock number for the 1894 carrier on their site and see if it matches the package label on what you received. The new-style precision cast carrier is a drop-in replacement for the old multi-part rocker carrier, no fitting should be needed. There are things that can be done to the new type to slick up the action, but it should fit and function the same as the old-style one. That's if Remlington is doing the job by making good replacements. Also, the old-style carriers can be repaired by a top-notch weldor, usually the rocker wears on them and can be built up and reshaped. Some of the posters here prefer doing that to the new-style rockers but if you can't do it yourself, it's going to cost.

Stan S.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There ARE no old-style carriers to be had except from other guns and they'll be worn the same way. Remlington isn't making replacement parts for old-production guns. What doesn't fit? Too long? Too fat? Makes me wonder if you've gotten the right part. I've only had to return a part once in 40 years with Brownell's, so it's a rare thing, but can happen. What I'd do is look up the stock number for the 1894 carrier on their site and see if it matches the package label on what you received. The new-style precision cast carrier is a drop-in replacement for the old multi-part rocker carrier, no fitting should be needed. There are things that can be done to the new type to slick up the action, but it should fit and function the same as the old-style one. That's if Remlington is doing the job by making good replacements. Also, the old-style carriers can be repaired by a top-notch weldor, usually the rocker wears on them and can be built up and reshaped. Some of the posters here prefer doing that to the new-style rockers but if you can't do it yourself, it's going to cost.

Stan S.
Thanks for the info. I double checked the part with brownells and they say it's the right one, it just may need "fitting". It is too thick where the screw whole is so it won't seat properly and it is maybe slightly too long. I dropped it off at the gunsmiths Sunday to be fixed. Since I just bought the rifle on gunbroker the seller is paying for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts