Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My all time favorite bullet for the .44 mag is the 250 gr Keith bullet. My new to me 1894 will feed this round with the barrel pointed level and up but not feed smoothly if the barrel is pointed down. This tells me the length of the loaded round ( using dummy round) is the issue.

Is there a carrier modification to make feeding more reliable?? :hmmmm:

Chocdog

·
Registered
798 Posts
It is the Keith design that is the culprit here. Bullets with a truncated cone, tangent, or secant design seem to work fine in the Marlin. JD Jones, Veril Smith, and others designed such bullets and they work ok as long as you don't go too wild on the meplat size. But Keith styles will always be a matter of seating deep and crimping over the driving band. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Marshall has a great article on modifying the carrier on the 1894 Great read

·
Registered
839 Posts
Marshall, oh crap last name just jumped out of my head. He owns Beartooth Bullets and has many interesting articles on his website about various firearms related topics. Most of which are about lever guns, revolvers and how cast bullets interact with them.

edit-
Marshall Stanton
Beartooth Bullets > Home

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Modifying 1894's cartridge stop
is the name of the article in the " Tips and Comments" section on the Beartooth site
really simple

·
Registered
567 Posts
Chocdog,

it may not be the carrier. You might be getting interference from your Ejector.

When a Marlin is level or slightly pointed upwards, the position of the cartridge on the carrier stays BELOW the Ejector until is usually has contact with the bolt.

BUT, if the rifle is pointed downward, the cartridge (especially the rim) can move off its resting position on the carrier and make contact with the Ejector before the bolt has moved forward enough to take control.

If this happens, the RIM of the cartridge (regardless of bullet design) can deflect off the Ejector and cause the bullet to offset enough to help create a little jam.

Based on the your description of the problem, I'm not sure that its the carrier length or OAL of your cartridges.

Ifn you cartridges run good when the rifle is level, then its really not your carrier length.

You ask if there was a carrier modification that can make feeding more reliable?..... YES. Its covered on Marauders website. I think that website is Marauderhomestead.com or something like that.

The carrier mod is call The Widdermatic. Give a few minutes and I will post a video of what that modification is capable of.

..........Widder

·
Super Moderator
11,797 Posts
Typically I've found it's the combination of length and the width of the shoulder- it hangs on the ramp into the chamber.
I have zero issues with boolits having no, or a very shallow shoulder like the NEI #252.
My personal opinion is no point spittin in the wind - too many excellent boolits to worry about the Keith design - after all, it ain't magic and the only reason for the shoulder is to punch pretty holes in paper.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Hokey smokes Widder!! That '94 will eat anything. I guess I better go look at the sight and see what the trick is. Thanks for posting that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts