Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new 1895GBL. The stock fit exceeded my expectations and the action is really smooth except for one problem. Every few times the action is cycled the carrier jams against the plastic magazine tube follower. It looks like the follower is extending into the receiver a little bit. On every cycle the carrier rubs on the face of the follower, but the carrier only jams on the follower every 4-5 cycles. This occurs without any ammunition in the magazine. I haven't tested this with ammo because I don't have any. Reloading dies are on order.

I wonder if anyone has experienced this and what the solution was?

·
Super Moderator
11,986 Posts
Hi Perez. There are guys on this site who should come along shortly that know more than I do. I will say I had the same problem three years ago with my 336Y. I had other issues with it, so just sent her back. Unfortunately twice. All seems okay now.
John

·
Premium Member
15,918 Posts
Remove fore stock, and magazine tube. (see disassembling 336/1895 here on MO) look at the plastic follower and make sure the magazine spring is seated INSIDE the follower.

I had this problem after disassembling and reassembling for cleaning my 1895 . it's easy to not get the spring seated inside the follower or let spring slip out of follower during reassembly and with the spring not seated fully up in back side of follower.....this makes the follower cock in the mag tube as well as in the mag tube/not retract into the mag tube which definately causes feeding PROBLEMS

ATTN: BE CAREFUL REMOVING AND REINSTALLING THE FORE STOCK CAP SCREWS. tHEY ARE TINY, EASILY CROSS THREADED AND ALSO EASILY STRIPPED IF TORQUED TOO TIGHT.

JUST SNUG THEM A BIT THATS ALL.

Check this and report back with your findings.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Remove fore stock, and magazine tube. (see disassembling 336/1895 here on MO) look at the plastic follower and make sure the magazine spring is seated INSIDE the follower.

I had this problem after disassembling and reassembling for cleaning my 1895 . it's easy to not get the spring seated inside the follower or let spring slip out of follower during reassembly and with the spring not seated fully up in back side of follower.....this makes the follower cock in the mag tube as well as in the mag tube/not retract into the mag tube which definately causes feeding PROBLEMS

ATTN: BE CAREFUL REMOVING AND REINSTALLING THE FORE STOCK CAP SCREWS. tHEY ARE TINY, EASILY CROSS THREADED AND ALSO EASILY STRIPPED IF TORQUED TOO TIGHT.

JUST SNUG THEM A BIT THATS ALL.

Check this and report back with your findings.
+1 And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion MarlinManCB45/70. I removed the forearm and magazine tube as you suggested. The spring was nested inside the follower but I discovered a really thick, black, tar-like substance inside the tube, on the spring, and on the follower. Clearly I need to disassemble the whole rifle and give it a good cleaning. I also noted that the shoulder of the follower is very thin where it catches against the receiver, noticeably thinner than the ones on my 336s. I ordered a brass replacement from Beartooth Mercantile. I will be interested to see if this follower's shoulder is as thin. I will post my results but it will take a week or so to get this done. My wife has other plans for my time. I may have to wait until she goes to sleep to work on it!

·
Premium Member
15,918 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion MarlinManCB45/70. I removed the forearm and magazine tube as you suggested. The spring was nested inside the follower but I discovered a really thick, black, tar-like substance inside the tube, on the spring, and on the follower. Clearly I need to disassemble the whole rifle and give it a good cleaning. I also noted that the shoulder of the follower is very thin where it catches against the receiver, noticeably thinner than the ones on my 336s. I ordered a brass replacement from Beartooth Mercantile. I will be interested to see if this follower's shoulder is as thin. I will post my results but it will take a week or so to get this done. My wife has other plans for my time. I may have to wait until she goes to sleep to work on it!

Sounds like you may have found the problem.

Use a patch holder with a couple patches on it soaked in bore cleaner and clean the mag tube as you would the bore a few times to remove whatever is in the mag tube.

Then repeat with a patch lubed with Lucas Gun Oil , which BTW, is usually available at any O'Reilly's Auto Parts Stores these days. In my area it's $4.26 tax and all for a small bottle.... Just ask the counter man for it because they usually keep it "in the back" .

I find that Lucas Gun Oil stays where it's put for a good while.

·
Premium Member
15,918 Posts
Glad I could be of help !

Now go and enjoy your Marlin rifle !

·
Super Moderator
7,960 Posts
man that was quick solution to the problem, folks here know their rifles and all the problems and are willing to help. Welcome to the site from the SWamps of Va. and glad you are back in business. Now we need pics of that rifle and range report from the reloads pending.........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts