Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you read the popular press, Cape buffalo are dreaded beasts, they are big and cunning, they are extremely fast, have horns that pierce and gore, iron hooves that trample and mangle and eyes that blaze red and shoot fire into your heart. You cannot kill them unless you have the tyrannosaurus rex of guns, great heavy bullets and a keen eye over the sights!

Well this year of our lord 2012, around about noontime, I successfully led a client on a buffalo hunt in Mozambique where she took a fine and healthy beast of the savanna with the lowly 45/70 Marlin Guide Gun shooting a hardcast lead bullet that I had forged from plain old wheel weights!

The Bullet, a 475 grain hardcast lead projectile, passed right through both shoulders, as a solid should, exactly as any of the so called buffalo calibers should do - with one exception - it made a somewhat ear pleasing whack as it hit the bull, standing about 100 yards off. Of course the beast took off and kept me busy for at least an hour tracking in the slow cautionary manner through heavy grass and brush - before I found it stone dead and stiff! Of course I was most pleased with myself and kept grinning for the rest of the safari - I felt that I had finally proved the worth of this caliber.

The 45/70 in question was an Alaskan guide model by Wild West Guns mounted with a 1.5-5x20 wide scope which was sighted in at 50 yards. The shot on the buff was slightly low due to 100 yard distance - meaning the bullet dropped about 3 inches from the intended placement - or at least I am saying it was the bullet not the shooter!

Regardless, in my opinion, any of the currently available commercial hardcast lead bullets at reasonable speed would have done the exact same damage and job. I would have liked to get into the 30 yard range but it was towards the end of the safari and we had to take the shot.

I'm posting more bullet test info soon as I did try out a couple of bullets on Elephant this year.

Vertebrate Mammal Water buffalo Terrestrial animal Horn Ammunition Metal Copper Brass Bullet

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Thanks Pete. Good bull. What was the velocity of the load, and the reason for the short 50 yd zero?

Mark.

·
Premium Member
6,139 Posts
Very nice beauty and the beast:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Great hunt!!! glad see someone take such a monstrous beast with the lowly guide gun. I have a CoPilot guide gun from WWG as well and they are a blast! nice looking hard ast bullet you got there as well...... Congrats!

Doc

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Well bwanapete bout time ya posted this :biggrin:

I know you trailed slow but how far ya figure he went?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm pretty sure I'd sell at least one family member to be able to hunt Africa with my .45/70 (or any gun for that matter)...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Nice job! Did you use the hollow point or flat point?

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Nice kill! But I would still feel better with a Baby Howitzer.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Pete. Good bull. What was the velocity of the load, and the reason for the short 50 yd zero?

Mark.
Thanks Mark, I don't own a chrono but would put the fps at around 1600 - I didn't have any reliable load data for these cast bullets but they seemed to work well with a dose of RL7 in all Win components.

I don't quite remember the short zero except that we were not meant to hunt anything with the rifle except use it for close work so I guess that's why it was zeroed at 50 and those bullets can be compared to a slug - so their 100 yard trajectory can't be that good!!!

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well bwanapete bout time ya posted this :biggrin:

I know you trailed slow but how far ya figure he went?
The Buff must have gone about a mile, first a straight line blood trail and then he slowed and started looking for his place of retribution as they always do. At each heavy thicket or obstacle his trail would meander around it looking for enough cover to lie in wait for us - it always impresses me, every Buffalo I have trailed does this, some I find still alive others dead, but they always look for the heaviest cover, make a wide turn around it and circle back to the trail a few yards to the left or right to wait for you.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice job! Did you use the hollow point or flat point?

Thanks for posting!
I used the flat point - the hollow point still has to be tested - just something I was playing around with for a Lion or Leopard stopper.

·
Premium Member
12,193 Posts
Excellent! Congratulations to both of you, and thanks for posting this. Always interesting to read about dangerous game hunts!

Guy

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Great story! Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
bwanapete

Thanks for posting your hunt & the great pictures. Can you explain a bit more about the bullet? Is it a custom mould? I'd be interested in a similar mould between 405grs & 450grs. I am also using RL7 behind the Rem. 405gr JSP & getting very good accuracy with it.
Thanks
Frank

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
That's a nice looking animal. Good looking Buffalo, too!

Oh, yeah. Nice rifle!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts