Votes: 18 75.0%
  • other

Votes: 5 20.8%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having an issue with my cap style forearm I bought from Boyd's. I would greatly appreciate it if you would measure your CAP style forearm and post the length from the receiver to the cap [wood only] and how about the year and model of the gun also. The Boyd's test mule has a 9 1/4" stock, my 1955 336 SC has a 9 9/16" stock.

Or maybe somebody here knows if Marlin changed the dimensions on these at a specific time.

marlin 003.JPG

Being new to Marlins are 336's the only ones to use the forearm cap or do some of the others use one also. As you can see in the pic my forearm is 5/16" short, and Boyd's is not a lot of help with this. If I can't get this issue taken care of I am going to modify the cap by adding 5/16" to it.

Length - Year - Model # please
Thanks Dave

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
1950 336a 35 Rem, 9 9/16"

Doc

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Added a poll to make it easier for you guys. Come on I know Doc isn't the only guy that owns a tape measurer. Thanks Doc for taking a minute to measure your gun.

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
I am having an issue with my cap style forearm I bought from Boyd's. I would greatly appreciate it if you would measure your CAP style forearm and post the length from the receiver to the cap [wood only] and how about the year and model of the gun also. The Boyd's test mule has a 9 1/4" stock, my 1955 336 SC has a 9 9/16" stock.

Or maybe somebody here knows if Marlin changed the dimensions on these at a specific time.

View attachment 97469

Being new to Marlins are 336's the only ones to use the forearm cap or do some of the others use one also. As you can see in the pic my forearm is 5/16" short, and Boyd's is not a lot of help with this. If I can't get this issue taken care of I am going to modify the cap by adding 5/16" to it.

Length - Year - Model # please
Thanks Dave

I don't know what year a change in length may have been made. Rifles have the fore end cap, Carbines have a barrel band. I measured 14 rifles made from 1950 to 2002 and all have 8 9/16 or the 9 9/16 inch fore end. The Cowboy Marlins have the 8 9/16 fore stock. Also my 39A's have the 9 9/16 stock.

Sounds like Boyd's has the wrong specifications. The 9 1/4 does not fit anything that I can find.

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

Is this what you have? This is the incorrect one from Boyd's web page.

MARLIN® 30A CAP STYLE FE W F

FACTORY DIRECT PRICING: $46.00USD
Qty Desired:

CURRENT STOCK STATUS : In Stock
- Will ship in 1 to 2 Business Days
Part ID : 2Z30015-26-117
Color Options
WALNUT

CUSTOM OPTION

May we also suggest:

It is your responsibility to confirm the dimensions of your firearm with the supplied dimensions of our part.

• Barrel Channel Point A: 15/16"
  • Barrel Channel Point B: 13/16"
  • Magazine Tube Width: 3/4"
  • Magazine Tube Shoulder to Shoulder: 9 1/4"
  • Over All Length of Part: 9 9/16"

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Have two spares that were measured, Cap style in general for 336 series, new production Marlin 9 9/16, mid 70's ? production Marlin 9 9/16 for the gripping surface. Absolute length to include the inleted portions is just at or slightly under 10 inches. Believe everyone is right to use the 9 9/16 measure, that Boyds is also using. Didn't take down an SC, cuz Doc always seems to know what he is talking about.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the Boyd's page you have that is a 9 1/4" forearm !!! Shoulder to shoulder is ALL that you see when mounted on your gun. The 9 9/16" that Boyd's shows is the overall length of the stock including the dovetail that slides in behind the receiver and the cap goes over. That is the forearm I have, I need one 9 9/16" plus the dovetail at each end which should push the overall length to about 9 7/8"

Thanks again,
Dave

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

You are correct, that is the wrong stock for a Marlin. I have no idea what that stock fits......all the marlins that I have, except the Cowboys, have a 9 9/16 stock...not a 9 1/4 inch. Try Numrich Arms, I ordered one from them a couple of year ago and it fit with only minor trimming.

·
Registered
376 Posts
1948 336 SC 9 5/8" It's possible the end on my tape measure was pushed in. That could have made the 1/16" longer measurement.
I remeasured. This time I started at the then 10" mark on the tape. Same result 9 5/8" edge of receiver to back edge of front cap. I measured wood only right at the top where it meets the barrel.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I bought one of their walnut pieces for my Marlin 335 (I couldn't afford a 336) and I think they're selling Winchester 94 forearms as Marlin forearms. That or they copied an 1893 or some other older model. The shape of what I have is more Winchester-esque that Marlin. Does anyone have a Winchester 94 to measure?

boyds-fore1.jpg boyds-fore2.jpg boyds-fore3.jpg boyds-fore4.jpg

·
Registered
376 Posts
I bought one of their walnut pieces for my Marlin 335 (I couldn't afford a 336) and I think they're selling Winchester 94 forearms as Marlin forearms. That or they copied an 1893 or some other older model. The shape of what I have is more Winchester-esque that Marlin. Does anyone have a Winchester 94 to measure?

View attachment 97508 View attachment 97509 View attachment 97510 View attachment 97511
The Winchester Model 64 used a grip cap fore end. Sorry I don't have a sample to measure. You would need to find a rifle version of a Model 94 to find a fore end with a cap instead of a barrel band. I am thinking they were 9 1/8"

·
Registered
289 Posts

The Winchester rifles have a 9 3/8 inch fore end stock so the Boyd's 9 1/4 inch would not work for that one. I would think that Boyd's would be smart enough to correct their mistake.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The Winchester Model 64 used a grip cap fore end. Sorry I don't have a sample to measure. You would need to find a rifle version of a Model 94 to find a fore end with a cap instead of a barrel band. I am thinking they were 9 1/8"
That IS a grip cap fore end. The replacement goes on this:

Marlin-336Bw.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts