Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to resolve an issue of a Marlin 1895 STBL TALO 45-70 having rounds get stuck halfway out of the mag tube so I took it apart to clean it and check everything (using your disassemble and reassemble instructions). My issue is that I can't get the forearm cap holes to line up with the threads no matter what I do. Any advise? Do you need photos?

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Check the hanger is in the dovetail under the barrel the right way round.

Mark.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
It should be a fairly loose fit in the dovetail. I had an issue with fore and aft movement of the forend and found that it fitted better one way than the other.

Another thought, make sure the hanger is bottoming out in the dovetail.

Did you read the entire thread that you linked to?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did. my holes are too high. the cap won't get high enough to line up. That dovetail doesn't move. I smacked it with the rubber end of a screwdriver and it moved a bit. It will take a hammer to get it out of the dovetail. It apparently fit before I took the gun apart. Everything is as tight as it can get. I am wondering if this may have something to do with my feeding issue.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have never got mine to fit right. One screw is always stressed. Screw torque on these screws (affect effect) my accuracy. I have tried to fit it every way. I don't want to make it lose. I watch this thread with interest.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Had this issue also. It is good that the cap is pulled up fairly tight, and there is a bit of spring in the forearm tip tenon (the offical name for the piece with the screw holes). If you can get one side aligned, put a screw in it, but don't tighten it all the way. I then use a brass rod a bit smaller than the screw hole and with a slightly tapered end to align the other side. Brass won't ding up the treads in the tenon holes and you shouldn't have to pry very hard to align it. This usually does the trick, as once the second side is aligned, it seem to stay aligned enough to get the screw in. If that doesn't do it, judicious adjustment with a plastic hammer on the tenon works. Too much adjustment and you get a rattler. Also, grinding a slight bevel at the end of the screws helps them align themselves but don't remove more than one thread to make the bevel.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
This is a very common predicament. If you are handy you can put a very very slight to taper on the end of the screws. You can also file a bit on the tenon plug. If you have a strong grip you can use a flat punch which is a wee bit smaller than the screw holes to align first 1 side, insert crew and then the other side and insert that screw. Sometimes it takes a combination of all 3.

Remember patience is a virtue ;D

Dave LOL PAS...we must have been posting at the same time

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
When installing forecap screws first place a punch or similar tool in the swivel stud hole. You can manipulate the punch to line up the cap holes with the tenon threads.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
bwsmith said:
that worked great right up until my swivel stud snapped off. :-[
:eek: :eek: Good thing it broke then and not while you had the rifle slung on your shoulder.

Mark.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On the upside, I was able to use the hole the hole the stud was in to give the leverage i needed. Of course it took so much force that I snapped my nail set too. Then I was ableto pound the stud back in with a hammer.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Spot the cap to the wood fitting it to fix the problem.

Using something to indicate the contact points, such as lipstick.

Line it up as well as possible, cut the wood where the marks indicate, until both holes are very close to lining up then try a little pressure to line up.

Went through this with my 38-55 CB, I would rather take down and reassemble a good fit over forcing it.

Worse one I ever done was when I changed a part that fit to get a sling swivel on it. Next time the sling swivel goes into the old part that fits.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
bwsmith said:
that worked great right up until my swivel stud snapped off. :-[
We didn't know you are a gorilla or the advice,would have been different. ;D

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Like Swany I too had a tight fitting forearm and cap on a Marlin. Trimming the wood on the forarm for a better fit will enhance accuracy. I even had to take a half round file to the cap itself where the barrel and magtube go through. You gotta wonder how the heck they got them on in the factory! ???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts