Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Marlin 336w 30-30 got a few months ago. I hadn't had any issues until this yesterday morning. I got up for an early hunt, as I was checking just to make sure everything was smooth, I loaded one round and, as it came out of the magazine tube it jammed on the loading gate, the lever jammed and I couldn't get the carrier to bring it up into the chamber so I depressed the loading gate and got the round out the way it went it. I hoped that would be the end of it but as I tried to cycle it acted fine until I went to pull the trigger I couldn't. I noticed that the plunger pin locks in place, the bolt slides in but the lever loop is about an 1/8 in. from depressing the trigger disconnector. I can't pull it in any tighter. It seem as if the lever is binding on the carrier and the carrier won't go down and any more, it seems like everything locks in place as it should but lever just doesn't close fully it locks but as I said it doesn't meet up with the disconnector. I can depress it manually and release the tension of the mainspring. I've disassembled the rifle inspecting it with a flash light and, smoothed out any burs on internals and spayed it down with Rem Oil, and reassembled it is clean and nothing appears to be bent or damaged. Still have the same issue, I've watched videos been reading forums for about since it happened, I've tried about all I can think of, except taking out the loading gate simply because I can't get the screw loose and fearful of stripping it out, but it doesn't appear to be damaged. I need help any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,592 Posts
Gunsmith? There are all kinds of threads and posts here that would help you. But if you do not feel you can do it without damaging the rifle the best and safest bet is a licensed gunsmith. I hope someone here can help but it is up to you to do the work either way so what do you feel comfortable doing is the main question.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MidBigWest, I've actually had the gun apart and back together about a dozen times, and been reading similar threads for about the last 18 hrs. Trust me no stranger to putting the time and work in. I just feel like this problems beyond me, hopefully not, but maybe a gunsmith is the best route, just don't really have the money, gunsmiths aren't exactly cheap. If I had the finances I'd probably wouldn't be buy guns at Wal-Mart, and if that were the case more than likely I'd have a more dependable firearm. I appreciate your time and the fact you made the effort to reply even if it wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your interest survivor99. Yes it does, I haven't put any rounds back in the gun after the initial hang up, and I cycled and dry fired it prior to loading the round that jammed and it worked fine.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
It sounds like there has to be a small burr somewhere that is binding the bolt from completely closing. If the lever isn't completely in the closed position then it won't fire. Hopefully some more qualified guys will be along shortly. They can put a finger on it easily because it has been experienced before.

Ron

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have a Marlin 336w 30-30 got a few months ago. I hadn't had any issues until this yesterday morning. I got up for an early hunt, as I was checking just to make sure everything was smooth, I loaded one round and, as it came out of the magazine tube it jammed on the loading gate, the lever jammed and I couldn't get the carrier to bring it up into the chamber so I depressed the loading gate and got the round out the way it went it. I hoped that would be the end of it but as I tried to cycle it acted fine until I went to pull the trigger I couldn't. I noticed that the plunger pin locks in place, the bolt slides in but the lever loop is about an 1/8 in. from depressing the trigger disconnector. I can't pull it in any tighter. It seem as if the lever is binding on the carrier and the carrier won't go down and any more, it seems like everything locks in place as it should but lever just doesn't close fully it locks but as I said it doesn't meet up with the disconnector. I can depress it manually and release the tension of the mainspring. I've disassembled the rifle inspecting it with a flash light and, smoothed out any burs on internals and spayed it down with Rem Oil, and reassembled it is clean and nothing appears to be bent or damaged. Still have the same issue, I've watched videos been reading forums for about since it happened, I've tried about all I can think of, except taking out the loading gate simply because I can't get the screw loose and fearful of stripping it out, but it doesn't appear to be damaged. I need help any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Leave the loading spring alone, you'll strip it (been there) especially if it's tight.

Are you using lever evolution rubber tips ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks survivor99, I've look the gun over many times and I've filed down several burrs non of which fixed my issue, was a pretty bad one on the carrier it was scraping the brass pretty bad. I'm sure I will go over it many more so I'll keep your idea in mind. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I'm sorry that I'm not much help. The ammo is definitely an issue, being very hard to find any at all. I have some 170 grain Winchester brand and consider myself lucky in finding that. Good luck and I hope you find a cure for the problem soon and easily.

Ron

·
Registered
234 Posts
Not an expert by any means though had a similar problem with my 1894c. I got in the habit of tightening (sometimes too much) every screw before taking it out. Found that if overtight the trigger screw can actually compress the receiver enough to cause binding issues. Solved the issue by loosening the screw 1/4 turn and just keeping it snug every 20 rounds or so. Have read that some use blue loktite to prevent lossening while in use.

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Premium Member
11,422 Posts
1. Ckeck to see if the hook on the lever is able to slide up past the front of the locking bolt smoothly.

2. Will the rifle cycly correctly w/o a round? If so, then the Lever may be too long to smoothly close the Br'bolt over the case head (faulty Headspacing, sort of, its actually called having a long lever)........remove the lever, and file the very front contout to remover .005-.010 material

3. Is the loading spring properly fit to the receiver? Is the loading spring screw tight?...(doesn't need to be Gorilla tight), just snugged up.

4. Does the rocker on the carrier look to be straight and does it function properly?

5. If none of the above works, Remove the follower from the mag tube, and see if the rifle will cycle empty. If it will, then the carrier may be binding on the or the case followeron its return stroke..

If this is the case, then remove the carrier and position it upside down supported in each end and bend the middle down, so the cradle is .01-.015 lower regarding the pivot hole.

Let me know what you find........PM me if you have specific questions, or want to talk about this via cell phone

Oh, ........Is this rifle a remington made rifle?

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Tomray, I'm glad to see someone who is obviously got some knowledge is willing to help. To be honest I've been up since yesterday on the computer gun in hand watching videos, reading about similar issues, trying to fix my problem. I just put the gun back on the rack and the family is starting to show up for Thanksgiving, thought I'd check the thread one more time, just didn't want to leave you waitin on a reply, but I gotta spend some time with the family, and eat some food, but I'm definitely gonna look into everything you had to say and get back to you sometime tomorrow. Thanks for your reply I appreciate your help. Oh, and it is a Remington (aka Remlin)

·
Registered
431 Posts
I had a similar problem with a Revelation 30-30. It would not cycle or load a round. A smith determined that it had been mashed, maybe in a vise. A smith made jig to spread the receiver and honed the bolt channel. I got a deer with it, it is a good rifle. The one at top of photo. In my case the shell lifter would lock up on the load gate and lever would not close bolt Gun Firearm Rifle Shotgun Trigger

·
Premium Member
10,775 Posts
OK, I am just working this out in my mind. I think the problem is the firing pin. The OP said he dry fired it before this happened. If the firing pin rear portion is jammed forward it might prevent the locking lug from going all the way up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts