Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1948 336A, one of those guns that has a 36-A-DL barrel. I discovered my firing pin was broken when my Marlin did not fire at a deer I had pulled up on (bummer).

I removed the bolt and confirmed the firing pin tip is broken. I have found it impossible to get the small pin (the one that holds the breech bolt together) out of the breech bolt that ought to surrender the broken firing pin. I have bend and broken one punch so far. Am I missing a secret to replacing a firing pin?

Thanks so much for your help, I am new to MO but thankful for the community.

David

·
Registered
672 Posts
First, you must have bolt assembly very secure. Between two soft objects (wood) in vise is a good start. Remove rear roll pin, remove rear pin. Turn bolt around and remove extractor, under that you will find second retaining pin. If original it will be solid looking pin, later versions have more material removed but works fine. Find an old/new bore brush that fit bolt ID and scrub the heck internally and do good freedom of movement when new pin is in hand. Mass, inertia, lock time discussions of new pins left to the higher beings. Brownells is a good place to start for replacement. Gtek

Reactions: GaCop

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
:hello:Good advice from "Gtek" and welcome to the forums! :tee:

·
Premium Member
5,021 Posts
Hey there DFlood -- Welcome to Marlin Owners. Take your bent/broken punch and refurbish it into a "short" punch. This will help. A 20 oz or bigger hammer will also help.

View attachment 81270

Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
386 Posts
The only advice I can offer based on my experience, I just replaced the pin in a 336 (my first and only FP replacement). When you go to re assemble, I found the following sequence worked for me:

1) install the new long front pin with the spring attached to the rear
2) Install the rear Firing pin
3) Install the rear roll pin
4) Install the Front roll pin
5) Install the extractor.

the key for me was to install the rear roll pin before the front roll pin. When I tried the other way round, I found the front firing pin tended to rotate while tapping in the front pin and so the pin couldnt seat properly. by installing the rear roll pin first, the front pin doenst rotate/spin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts