Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I purchased a 95' Marlin 880ss. I love this rifle. I decided to take it apart and get to know it. I watched another youtuber's video on an 882 model.
There is a spinning portion of the bolt, I will call it the bolt head, that houses the firing pin and extractors. For some reason, in his video he was able to just twist the bolt head and it would release from the main bolt body.
Mine however will keep spinning and won't release.

Does anyone know how I can further disassemble this Marlin 880 bolt or did Marlin design it to where you didn't need to break it down further?
Please help!

That is the link to the disassembly video. If you watch at 1:18, he just spins the bolt head and it just releases. Mine just keeps rotating and will not give.

I'm a little frustrated because, i'm not sure if i will be able to service this bolt or not. Surely there is a way to get to the other parts.

Thank you in advance!

·
Super Moderator
32,827 Posts
That's crazy!

Your not the only one to complain to the person about bolt not wanting to separate!

ca'jun56

Reactions: le123

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Welcome to MO and greetings from Ohio. To be grammatically incorrect, this ain’t no area of expertise for me. But, the great thing about MO is that someone will be along soon who can help (it just isn’t me).

·
Registered
818 Posts
Had the same issue with my 883 bolt. Apparently Marlin has two versions of the 800 series bolts. One has a notch in the front half of the bolt that allows the bolt to be disassembled by rotating it to where the notch lines up with the retaining pin, like the one in the video. At the 2:36 mark in the video, you can see the notch.
The other style bolt does not have this notch, and cannot be disassembled unless you remove the retaining pin. I have not attempted this since it appears that the pin needs to be drilled out since there is no where for the pin to go if you try to punch it out.
You can remove the extractor and the firing pin, but that is as far as you can go.
I would caution you about removing the firing pin. There is a tiny spring that needs to be compressed forward in order to get the firing pin back in. If you don't push it forward, the firing pin will crush it and ruin it. It is VERY difficult to push that spring forward when installing the firing pin. It is easy on the bolts that come apart, but not on the ones like you and I have. There is no room for anything to hold the spring forward because the firing pin gets in the way. If you have it all apart, let me know, and I'll show you what I did to get the firing pin back in.
I just soak my bolt in mineral spirits to clean it. Don't want to fool around with that firing pin again.

BTW, if you do mangle the spring, you will have to disassemble the front half of the bolt to get a new spring in.

Reactions: Judson

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I did a little forward thinking. The video was for a model 882 which from my research 882s were introduced in 96. My 880 is a 94-95 model. My assumption is that Marlin made this first version bolt one where you could not remove the front breech bolt (part no#3) from the rear breech bolt (part no#4) without punching out part #5, a retaining pin that is flushed with the entire body. I'm assuming due to complaints, they realized you wouldn't be able to service the firing pin spring without removing part #5 and unless you are a gunsmith and had all the proper tools to extract that pin, you would be SOL. Perhaps a strong magnet would draw it out but who knows. PERHAPS this made Marlin design an improvise bolt version 2, just like the one we see in the video where with a simple twist, the front breech bolt can be removed with ease, and you can service the firing pin,spring, and extractor.

I bit the bullet and decided that I was going to remove all of the parts that I could get access to. I pulled the one-piece extractor (part#3), then followed by taking out the firing pin. I noticed the tiny spring, but as Marvlin mentioned, with both ends of the breech stuck together, you wouldn't be able to manipulate it as easily and get it to compress unless you were lucky.
I noticed I messed up here and had to figure out away to get the firing pin back in its original orientation but the spring was now fully uncompressed and did not allow for the firing pin to slot back in. I checked my toolbox and spare nails and found a very thin nail that was strong enough not to bend when I compressed the firing pin spring. With it compressed. I took the firing pin and placed it back in the slot followed by the extractor that sandwiches it altogether on the front breech. Compressing that spring to allow the firing pin to slide back where it was suppose to is not easy but doable. I WAS PERHAPS VERY LUCKY TO GET IT IN THE FIRST TIME. Again, like Marvlin said, do not mangle that firing pin spring or you will have to find away to take both breech ends apart (our problem in the first place). Lastly, I took apart the end section of the rear breech out by removing that tiny striker retaining spring (part#38). I did as advised in the video and decided to just wipe it down and leave that huge mass alone.

Everything is back together and thankfully I did not mangle that spring trying to figure out to get that firing pin back in.

For anyone reading this, PLEASE follow Marvlin's advise. Dip the whole bolt in mineral spirits to clean, drain, and wipe down. Had Marlin made this version of the bolt more user-serviceable, we would not have such a headache trying to get a damn spring in the whole assembly. In hindsight, it is just easier to let solvents break down and do the work instead of pulling apart what you can to get to nothing.

I will probably post a youtube video for the 880 bolt in the future if i can figure out how to get both breech ends apart. WHEW

·
Registered
818 Posts
Glad you figured it out. If I ever have to take my bolt all the way apart, I am going to put that notch in the front half!

Reactions: le123

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear you. My first attempt to take this pin out one day is to get some heat on the bolt and drive in some Kroil penetrating oil into that retaining pin. Gonna try to tap with a rubber mallet the other side of the bolt to see if it will knock it out loose enough to where I can get some pliers and pull it out.

My last resort will be to get some jb weld on that pin attach to a cheap punch and yank that sucker out. Hopefully it won't take a real weld.
I'll be so happy when I figure out how to break these two halves apart.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Sounds like all good advice. I know nothing about them. But it looks like unless you have a need to disassemble it completely to replace a broken part. Do not do it. Soak it in something, spray it all out good with maybe some carb cleaner. Blow air through it. I would think that would be sufficient.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts