Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help me decide whats next 444 or 45-70. Give me the pros and cons of both, i have caught the marlinitus and selling off my bolt guns to buy more marlins.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
ONE OF EACH!

I picked the 45-70 because I already had and reload for an H&R Buffalo Classic. Unless you reload, ammo availability in your area may make a difference in your decision. I think you can kill any thing you want with either one.

But I still think one of each should be your decision.

Mop

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Yep wanting one of these myself..decisions decisions decisions...

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I have a 444p and a 1895g 45-70 and like them equally but I find its much easier to find 45-70 brass and ammo than to find it for my .444.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
help me decide whats next 444 or 45-70. Give me the pros and cons of both, i have caught the marlinitus and selling off my bolt guns to buy more marlins.
Told the wife I'd watch a movie with her tonight, but instead I think I'm gonna leave her to that while I bring my bag of popcorn in here to follow this thread for awhile.

Last time we had this discussion, 444 vs 450 vs 45-70 .... didn't someone die from a heart attack while others were put in the corner on time-outs? Or at least one member disappeared never to be seen or heard from again.

I'll be back in about six hours with the popcorn. This should be good by then.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'll throw in for the 444. I personally think the 444 is the most versatile rifle to be had. I can load 240 grain bullets and hunt deer and hogs all over Texas. I can likewise load up a 335 grain bullet and hunt bison (which I have done). My 444 is my go to rifle if I'm ever undecided on what to grab. It is very accurate, points and aims like a dream. Firing the 240 grain bullets have less felt recoil than my 30-30.

I have great respect for the 45-70. It is indeed a tried and tested round. There's just something special about my 444.

·
Premium Member
15,421 Posts
The smartest thing to do, is buy one and when funds allow, buy the other
You will wind up doing it anyway
Then you won't have to decide
You will have both

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Go with the 45-70!
The 444 is a just a long 44 Magnum. :flute:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I read a signature line somewhere to the effect of having "a little less government in you life".
You decide.

Look at my Sig. The 45-70 Govt is the only Govt you need!

·
Banned
1,132 Posts
i'd go with the 444. the reason i went is the fact that bullets are 100 for the 444 and are 50 for the 45-70. my brother has the 45-70 in a marlin and he likes it, i am disabled(meaning the right half of my body don't work:biggrin:) so i am going for a tc encore 444 marlin with a 21" mgm barrel with a bellm's muzzle brake. i got 2 boxes of 265gr hornady flat points and when i get the barrel, i'll buy the 265gr beartooth bullets. the 444 goes from 180-405gr bullets, the powder can be h4198, rel 7, h322, h335, and a few others. i know brass is hard to find, but it can be found. look at gun forums, this one has some. i got some from another forum. theres alot of people on this forum that can help you, from loads to cast bullets!
i won't say it, but the 444 looks real good compared to the 45-70:flute:

Reactions: 44 OLD GUY

·
Super Moderator
24,953 Posts
Our MO member Buffalo Jake put down a nice buffalo from 300 yards in SD earlier this year using the 444 Marlin and 280 grain Carbon ammo. Can't go wrong with the Triple-4.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
45-70 GVT hands down.
Bigger bore, heavier bullets.
A lot more of everything available .............factory ammo & components for handloading.
Own a bunch of 45-70s.......2 Guide Guns, Pedersoli 86/71, NEF break-open, Winchester 1886 EL, Baikal double.

Bought a triple-four Marlin when they first came out and the only factory ammo available was green box loaded with 240 grain handgun bullets. Handloaded it a while with the 265 grain Hornady bullets and then sold it.

Reactions: Mop and Condition 1
1 - 20 of 194 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.