Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been following this auction on Gun Broker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=227487517

It ended this afternoon for 455.70. I thought this was an outstanding rifle, NIB with cool wood. Now I'm no expert on, or even a semi-afficionado of 1895's, but was very tempting to me but can't expand my ammunition categories.

What did I miss about this rifle that kept the price so low? ???

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Beats me...its a pre-Remlin I think.

That serial number is from 2005...I don't much care for that wood, but that can be fixed :)

·
Registered
671 Posts
You never know when a deal is gonna pop up, I recently bought a NIB guide gun from a guy that at one time owned a gun store. It went out of business and everything that was left he kept, but started selling things off recently. I got the guide gun brand new for 450 and a brand new Uberti high wall for 650. I think I got real lucky finding this guy

·
Registered
124 Posts
Have you actually checked out the blue book values for marlins....

The do not reflect the transition the company has gone through, nor the uncertainty about RemLins

Consider yourself a person with insider knowledge.

Two years from now, Marlins are gonna be expensive, I predict.

You used to be able to buy 30-30 marlins for under 200 bucks all day long. That was just two years ago. Try to find one under 400 bucks today.

We have a limited window of opportunity here to get the Marlin we always wanted.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm no wood expert, but due to the buttstock I wouldn't have paid the selling price for that one. I don't know what those dark spots are all over it, look like knots to me, but I don't consider that cool wood.
There's still too many good Marlins out there to get in a bidding war over something not just right.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It doesn't look NIB to me. Looks like it has been fired some. The blueing on the loading gate is worn, the chamber has brass marks from rounds being loaded. Still a nice looking rifle at a good price.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I am with Dougsflyingservice on this one, I believe it has been fired some, but not a lot. It has some nice figure above the butt plate, but has several small knots and some filled knot holes. I saw a new one on the shelf at Gander Mountain last month, and they were asking $549, and they don't charge for the phone call or any transfer fees. When I look at this I see $455 + $30 shipping + $35 transfer fee from the local FFL. So for a total of $520 I am left holding the bag if it's a lemon, or if it's misrepresented. I won't deal with a sight unseen gun unless I am sure the seller will make everything right, and to me it's worth an additional $30-$50 to buy from a local dealer with a good rep. That doesn't mean I won't buy from Gunbroker, it just means I am picky. Besides several local dealers here will match a legitimate Gunbroker price on a new gun. Just my 2 cents worth.

Gary

·
Registered
477 Posts
I would not have even bidded on a gun that has a butt stock like that.Figure is nice in a stock but knots on the butt stock which is usually the first thing looked at when picking up a gun just turns me off.Not paying that kind of money for wood like that. Mike

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I agree with the OP. I like the wood. It has "character".

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
August said:
You used to be able to buy 30-30 marlins for under 200 bucks all day long. That was just two years ago. Try to find one under 400 bucks today.
Where do you live that you can't find Marlin .30-30's for less than $400? Just this past weekend I bought a fine looking Marlin in .32 Special with a K4 Weaver aboard at a gun show for $350. If it were a .30-30, I wouldn't have paid more than $275 for it. And, I've never paid as much as $300 for a used .30-30 in great condition.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Early this year I bought a Marlin 30-30 made in 1993 that was a safe Queen for $405 from Gun Brokers. As the man said you never know when a great deal is going to come by. I live in the greater Washington, DC area and at most gun shows that I have been to they want $500 or more for Marlin 30-30's especially if they are from New Haven and not New York.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Just like real estate, location, location, location. 30-30's with rust all over and wood beat to heck are 275-300 here in Billings, MT. Something in good shape runs 400 to 500 plus for 35's. Cabela's has a very nice 35 from the 70's that is 520.00, just found an 1895 with ports from 2000 for 500.00. I need to check my Lotto tickets. ;D Brian, if I win, I'll come visit ya. ;) DP

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm new to the Marlin but just got a pre-safety 1895 (1975) for $500 in mint condition. I look on gunbroker for my buys. Just missed a 336 for $299. Northern Florida thats a good price for either one

1 - 15 of 15 Posts