Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever use one of them cannalure making tools?
I saw one & it got me thinking & wondering if its something I might find useful.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Admit it, Leverdude. You don't really have a use for one, you just like the idea of telling people you "Roll Your Own".

I've always wanted one, but I still don't know why.

PJ

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well,,,, your right & your wrong. Your right because I dont NEED one but your wrong because I'v already come across a bullet I could use one on.
I had some Speer hotcore 350's for my 45/70. They dont have a crimp groove where we need one & theyre tough enuff my LFC die didn't crimp them as well as I might like. Theyre gone now & none moved in the case but if I'da seen this tool before I shot them all I'da got it. :wink: I guess I'm curious as to how consistant a groove they make.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
I can see the need with some bullets, and as I recall, they do a good job of rolling a serious notched groove in the bullet, looks just like factory. Go for it, but keep us posted on how it does. And don't try it on your fingers, your woman will know. I hope, anyway. And don't stick your..........oh, never mind. You'd only do it ONCE. :shock:

PJ

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I said I'm not sure I need one, specially with the FCD from Lee but I'll still probably get one. I dunno why except I like gadgets & tools, even if I need to invent a reason for getting it. :lol:
I wont be cannaluring no body parts tho, least not on purpose. :wink:

You seen one in action papajohn? One reason I hesitated was there was no real description of what it created. I didn't wanna buy it & find it just cut a groove or a line. Sounds like they make a genuine thing like I'm used to seeing.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
I saw one in a book by Dean Grennell years ago, his pix were always excellent, and his descriptions nearly as good. The cannelure shown looked just like what the factories do, a notched groove, wherever you want it. The only thing I'd wonder about is how much it distorts the bullet jacket.

As for how it works, I think you adjust it for bullet diameter, lay the bullet into the channel, and turn a crank to engrave the cannelure into the bullet. Seems pretty straightforward. I think you need one, just to have another gizmo to play with!

PJ

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemen-I guess with a Big Bore relatively slow sheathed bullet it doesn't make too much difference but gouging a sheath will pretty much ruin a high caliber fast bullet. In either case it will break the bond that keeps the core and sheath together when the going gets tough. If the speer is a soft core bullet this sounds risky for hunting purposes. By the way, I'm a big fan of the Hot Cor Speer bullets. Do it leverdude and test it out and report back :wink: Life is good, BestLever

·
Registered
17 Posts
I own one made by Corbin and use it to produce a cannelure in the case just behind the bullet, so as to keep the bullet from migrating backwards in an otherwise loose case. That, mostly, for straight-walled cases that have only been sized in the area where the bullet is held.

I have also used it to put a cannelure on the case so that it produces a second crimp on a loaded soft lead bullet back closer to the bullet base. This raises the initial start pressure and makes light charges burn better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts