Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new member I am reluctant to sugest any changes to this already fantastic site... as a new .45/70 owner in canada however it seems to make sense. Ammo is often super hard to get in canada as suppliers wont ship here and our gun stores are years behind. I went to FIVE DIFFERENT gun stores today to buy ammo for the 45/70 and the 308MX. There was a total of 2 choices for 45/70 and half the stores didnt even have 308MX (those that did only had 160grain). A couple shops said they would order in any thing I wanted provided I bought at least 10 boxes. That is crazy if you are trying to find out if a bullet is right for you. If we canadians had our own forum we could pool resources to order bullits, pressure gun shops into more variety or share info about canadian online sales. I could post in individual forums but it seems like this might be a much easier way to share info. Hope I am not over stepping my self here but I know I am not the only one who would sign up

Frustrated in canada,

Skookumrob

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I can see that this may be good for all Members in all the Nations including the US.. So let us kick it around and see what we can come up with..

You do know in our Industrial Partners Section we have ammo dealers and in the Lodge is Ranch Dog Molds for rolling your own..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have been seriously considering reloading. Today during my quest I looked in every shop for 308MX dies and ... drum roll please... no luck. The 45/70 bullet selection even sucked. I am going to talk to a reloading buddy this week about nessecary supplies and then start looking around to see what I can get shipped across the medicine line into the land of no selection. Ranch dog will be my first stop if I take this route. Thanks for the tip gunjunkie.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ther doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in the canadian club thing. I guess I should have called it the hockey pool club or something like that if I wanted my fellow canucks involved eh? ;) oh well I tried :)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Can an expatriate be part of this one?

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Skookumrob said:
Ther doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in the canadian club thing. I guess I should have called it the hockey pool club or something like that if I wanted my fellow canucks involved eh? ;) oh well I tried :)
Not many read up here .. not your fault

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tlc you would be more than welcome if we had a club, I think that these forums are pretty fantastic and it would definately be more the merrier :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where you from originally tlc? Im out in alberta an hour west of edmonton

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Windsor Ont. Now in the Great Southwest of USA

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually lived texas (houston) for a year but it was way to hot and humid for a tundra boy like me ;D

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Out my way is extremely hot but dry, very dry. I took some getting used to (30 years and still adjusting).

·
Registered
322 Posts
Howdy , totally feel the frustration , guns and ammo it is almost ridiculous , my boy is 16 wants to shoot and we do, but I feel hesitant about getting him involved in the gun hunting thing. It seems to be a hobby with one arm tied behind your back.I want guns and bullets but I have to wait and wait yet just 3 hours drive American people are unemployed because of lack of work, I understand the safety thing but please we are the same people regardless of what you may think. American laws will not allow products out of the country, hmmm we are looking for long guns and large caliber bullets I think national security does not need worry about canadians with 45-70 's attacking please . We live one life and passion for life and priveledges should not be deterred by a few wing-nuts in Ottawa or Washington pleading about national security and if anyone forgot ,we are allies now and forever especially when the chips are down

·
Registered
385 Posts
I would join!
I have to say it was not always this bad! It was better 25 years ago,back then I talked to a guy from Texas at the big show in Calgary (Canada's biggest gun show)ya we can kick TO'S butt when it comes to guns!!! lol, that's the western boy in me.
Now back to my Texan I met, he told me he was up here to buy CZ handguns ya back then we could buy them cheap, but not the yanks same goes for the rifles. When the Iron curtain fell they could get all that stuff. Before 911 the boarder was wide open if I could not find it up here I would order it by phone or mail then the internet came. I am still kinda young at 43 almost 44 lol and remember the old day's well! I was reloading at 13 and did slave labour for my big brothers IE case prep at 11.
If you shoot a odd ball cal like a Marlin Express, you better start to reload, buy lot's of brass too as I think the cal will be dead soon. I buy my reloading stuff when in stock bulk I will take the hit $$$ and stock up when the stores get it in.
Strange as it may sound other than hangun stuff we are not doing that bad! long gun rifle registry will fall now that we have a Calgary boy as are priminister!
It's not Canada, but the U.S that limits exports of gun stuff!! Cabelas will not even send you a scope as it is a gun part to the U.S goverment.
Sad I have often stepped over the four wire barbed fence that they call a boader from Montana/ Alberta, life on the other side is good,( but very hard to make 30 bucks a hour). In Waterton All you find is a Marker and Sign to tell you are in Montana. You can buy a Ruger or smith to go with your Marlin lever gun something you cant do in Canada,( well you can buy the gun but can't really use it) as handguns are bad! As a gun nut I use that term with you know?
If I was a criminal I would use a shotgun or rifle and the hangun would be a last chance thing. But I am not a criminal I wish I could use my Big Smith or Ruger other than target shooting. Say hunting or gopher shooting!!!

But for your Marlin EX I really would take up reloading.
Reloading is not that hard and fun and you can find all the info you need in any manual.
Here is a tip to reloading don't go by what is posted on the net!! Get a few manual's work up slow, buy a chrony they are so cheap now. Some basic stuff like a good Scale,Caliper and case trimming tool and your set for a wile until you start casting lol.
So many good guy's and I bet gal's that can really help in Reloading info on this sight, just double check with a manual. The rewards will come I have never shot a big game animal myself with a Factory round!!!
I never had a miss fire or any trouble with anything I reloaded!. I have a simple rule to live by check then check again!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts