Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hey Omnipotent, that behavior is supposed to be a thing among a very tiny percentage of grouse. Not understood at all.

Thanks for sharing those incredible pics!

Vooch

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Every now and then you can run into a fairly stupid Ruffed grouse. Especially the young ones that leave the brood. I had one in my garage last year trying to get out the window like other birds. I caught it and let it go as I was not in the mood to clean one. Used to get a couple a year while putting up wood but have not been seeing them as much. Hunting pressure lcally has been pretty intense the last few years and they have been pretty wild. At one time they held to pointers, but the last time I hunted with my pointers they would run through cover like a pheasant and then fly off where I could not get a shot. They are there yet but the survivors are different birds than the ones you could shoot with a 22 when I was a kid. Some used to fly into a tree and look down at the dog and you could get more than one. Dumb ones tend to get shot off pretty early now or are on private property.

DEP

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I've spotted a few in my day. I slow walk hunt. I am usually most successful when one of my buddy's kids is along. (shuffling feet...talking...etc) I keep 20-25 yards away from the kid and just move slow. I can't tell you how many birds walk right in front of me. I don't have a problem (ethically) shooting them on the ground. They are much easier to hit that way and taste just as good as the one's I get out of the air.

(Same hunt...3 separate birds)

redhawk

Attachments

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Forget RealTree..... New, more gooder camo pattern.... RealGrouse ftw.

It's like, I see it, I know where it is in the picture, but I only see it because I'm looking for it real close.

·
Banned
1,982 Posts
Yeah, I see it -- right next to the unicorn!:biggrin:

Reactions: Vooch

·
Registered
51 Posts
You get used to looking for them after a while. He's right in front of the small log that runs across. The trick is to identify parts of the bird, and then you can visually sort out the rest after a few seconds. I look for the design on the feathers first. I don't live in Maine anymore, so I haven't gone looking for them for a while now. Here in southern Alabama I don't even know if they're around. I sure haven't seen any around. I'm busy looking for fire-ant hills and copperheads wherever I walk.

Jim

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Didn't take long, not bad for 70 year old eyes. Hunted them a lot when I was younger - learned to mount the shotgun and shoot in one fluid motion, the window of opportunity is very short!!!

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Didn't take long, not bad for 70 year old eyes. Hunted them a lot when I was younger - learned to mount the shotgun and shoot in one fluid motion, the window of opportunity is very short!!!
I grew up shooting them and when I first went pheasant hunting would be on them at about the 4th wingbeat and shot way too close. My reflexes have slowed down so I am not as good of a wing shooter as I used to be but still have an O/U 28 ga for them. Used to have a SXS but it was a worked over Stoeger and someone else wanted it pretty bad. When I had dogs I preferred not to ground shoot. Used to think that the best way to hunt one was to bust brush wear orange and carry a bolt action shotgun so they would think I was deer hunting. Miss that type of hunting. About the best thing that can be done for them locally is follow logging operations as they like growing aspen stands.

DEP

21 - 31 of 31 Posts