Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here. I came across this in my research on lever guns and was wondering if there's truth to it.

I read: "Don't shoot 38 Specials in that rifle and then shoot 357 Mag ammo. The 38's build up a carbon ring in the chamber that will cause pressure issues if 357 is then fired without cleaning."

Is this true?

If so, can you shooting .357 and then switch to .38 afterwards?

Thanks in advance.

- Mike

·
Registered
409 Posts
I am certainly not an expert in gun issues but I have been doing just that for years with my Marlin rifle (and every .357 Mag revolver I have ever had), without any dire consequences.
But then, I often jaywalk and talk to strangers as well. Maybe I have been lucky!

Sincerely,

JDP
Team 35 # 88
Team 30-30 # 82
Team 39 # 31

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Read the link from eaglesnest, then go have some fun! jack

·
Registered
226 Posts
The short answer is: yes you can shoot 38 spls and then 357s. I did it last weekend.
The dreaded ring of crud is so over played it's silly. If I shot a couple thousand 38s, I MIGHT clean the chamber before I shot 357s. Common sense applies; if the 357s chamber hard, then clean it. I doubt you'll experience that though.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Jayhawkhuntclub said:
The short answer is: yes you can shoot 38 spls and then 357s. I did it last weekend.
The dreaded ring of crud is so over played it's silly. If I shot a couple thousand 38s, I MIGHT clean the chamber before I shot 357s. Common sense applies; if the 357s chamber hard, then clean it. I doubt you'll experience that though.
I agree. I'm so tired of hearing it it makes me gag! Shoot it, enjoy it, and clean it when done. End of story.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Listen to the guys with all those stars under their names/handles. The only real "problem" you would have is remembering the different POI from the 38s to the 357s.

Next topic.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
In the 94 or 92's strong action..probably ok. In some of the toggle link actions like 73's or 66's used in CAS .. and used a lot..I would consider cleaning the chamber if I was going to use .357 mags. after shooting a bazillion .38's

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
If there is concern or not is up for debate, but the solution seems simple. Just carry a resized 357 empty case, chamber it, extract and eject. That should scrape out any obstruction.

·
Super Moderator
6,347 Posts
Sometimes ignorance can be bliss, and common sense gets a chance to prevail. My Dad's S&W Model 15 38Spl will also chamber 357mags and it has never been altered. He shot 38SPl's for 30 years. It got cleaned every now and then. I had some 357's left over from my S&W Model 19 days (gave it to my 2nd wife in the divorce) and on a whim I chambered them in the Model 15. They cleanly fit. I pulled the bullets, reduced the powder charge to 38Spl level, noticed book spec showed the OAL for the 38 and the 357 to be the same, and proceeded to the range. All went well, and Dad's revolver didn't know the difference.

Your rifle will not know the difference, either, other than change of POI as previously noted.

Shoot and enjoy.

Jeff
NRA Life

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
I know exactly what Mike was worried about. Since I didn't come from a hunting/shooting family, I was worried about anything I did that could damage my guns.

But once I started reading books about cowboys and the old west and noted what their guns have gone through (mountain winters, lakes, dirt, etc.), my worries quickly ceased! It's amazing what abuse these guns can withstand from us humans (barring something really stupid like having the wrong size cartridge in a barrel). ::) ::)

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
I never heard of this and have alternated .357 and .38Special +P in both my 1894CSS s several times out. I shot about 100 of each caliber each time in both guns and did not bother to clean out till I ran a Boresnake through them at the range AFTER I was finished shooting. Seems like another one of those items of misinformation that some people take as gospel truth.

GB45

1 - 16 of 16 Posts